You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Why is Cloud DVR is not recording or not showing some recordings?

The_Way_I_See_It
The_Way_I_See_It Posts: 32 Contributor

I am having issues with the Cloud DVR. I had two recordings. I watched one and when I came back to watch the other both were gone. The programs were for Home Again recorded on a local channel. Two more were scheduled today but never appear to have recorded or if they did record they are not showing up in the CDVR recording list. Also a couple other programs scheduled to record later today are not showing up. I checked and the programs are on my series recording list. The problem looks very much like the same problem that occurred last week 4/22/2022 for about a day. I anyone else having this problem?

Answers

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @The_Way_I_See_It! Are you seeing any newly recorded programs showing up at all? Do you have a different device with the Spectrum TV app or computer you can use to go to watch.spectrum.net to check if you can see the recordings there?

• The_Way_I_See_It

I have a Roku device that I primarily use, Android Phone/Tablet devices and Windows 10 PC / Firefox. They all show the same list of recorded programs. None of the devices show the recording that disappeared or were scheduled to record but appear to have not recorded. I had one series recording that was scheduled to start at 6:00 am this morning. At 6:20 or so it did not appear to have started recording even though it had the double dots on the web page guide indicating it was scheduled. And when I selected the program the episode information had the appearance that it was recording. I used the web page interface to cancel the series and rescheduled the series and the recording now shows up in the CDVR listings as recording. It looks like I will have to oversee all of my series scheduled recordings to catch the ones that should be recording but don’t or cancel them all and reschedule them.

• William_M

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but glad you were able to find a fix! Unfortunately there is no way to recover programs that did not properly record. I would recommend cancelling any other scheduled recordings and rescheduling them. Please let us know if the problem returns.

• The_Way_I_See_It

Thank You for your response. I have been using the Cloud DVR for about 6 months. The Cloud DVR is really annoying at times. It works ok a good part of the time but I believe errors and glitches appear too often in its operation. A customer should not have react to problems / issues and apply fixes to keep a system usable for them. The occasional “Recording Unavailable We’re sorry we’re unable to play your selection. Please try again later” errors that lock me out of playing a recording when I have the time to watch it, which is he whole purposes of doing a recording, are especially frustrating. Am I the only one who is having issues? Has Spectrum done any surveys on the customer satisfaction of the CDVR? Please do not take this as a personal complaint of you but I really like the concept and get frustrated when I can’t use it.

• William_M

Error messages like that are frequently caused by internet connection issues. I recommend rebooting your modem and running a speed test to verify your internet is working well. Reinstalling the app may also help. Please let us know if you continue to get those errors.

• The_Way_I_See_It

The occasional “Recording Unavailable We’re sorry we’re unable to play your selection. Please try again later” errors that lock me out of playing a recording appear to only affect one recording. If I choose a different recording it will play fine. If I do a Spectrum speed test when I am having issues with a recording I typically get a Download speed over 200 Mbps and an Upload speed over 20 Mbps. I do not have this type of problem with any other streaming service. I have tried rebooting my devices, the router, the gateway modem and the problem persists on the on recording. If I try the recording an hour or couple later it will play.

• Steph_S
    Steph_S Posts: 515 Spectrum Employee

Thank you for that information. Would you be able to confirm what channels and titles of the programs are that you are experiencing trouble with?

• The_Way_I_See_It
    edited May 2022

It does not appear to be one particular channel or program title. It just appears to randomly occur. It has occurred on my local channel 16 PBS WPTDDT on title This Old House, on my local channel 18 WRGTDT on title Bob Vila’s Home Again, channel 58 FNCHD title Fox News Live, channel 75 FS1 and 26 ESPN various sporting events, and other channels. Of note I can go a couple days without a problem then have a day or two when the error will occur once or a couple times on different recordings - times.

• Steph_S

I would like to advise that our team has opened a ticket to work toward a resolution on this issue.

• The_Way_I_See_It
    edited May 2022

Thank You

• Steph_S

You're welcome.

• The_Way_I_See_It
    edited May 2022

Can you tell me if they are working on my CDVR? It is doing a lot of strange things. Some recordings won't play. Others give errors when trying to start them. Do I just need to not try to use it?

• Steph_S

I have checked and it looks like the ticket that was opened. Have you tried logging out of the app and rebooting the equipment to see if the issue still occurs?

• The_Way_I_See_It

I am experiencing the same issues on all devices.In an effort to do some problem analysis I used my android phone to try to play the recordings and had a similar error message “Recording Unavailable We’re sorry we’re unable to play your selection. Please try again later, DCD-1002”. I then disconnected the phone from my WIFY and restarted it and the app using my wireless data. I had the same issues. Several of the recordings gave me an error, some won't start, while some played ok. Live streaming works ok both ways. Should I be calling Spectrum Support on this issue? Or is it proper to address this on this platform?

• Steph_S

This is the correct channel to use. I am going to send a private message from our Community_Help handle to request further information.

• The_Way_I_See_It

Thanks

• The_Way_I_See_It

I answered the Community_Help handle message.

• soccer_fan99
    soccer_fan99 Posts: 3 Spectator

I agree, this CDVR issue seems to be similar to that of a week or two ago. That time, some shows eventually did show up as recorded, but others were lost.

From the number of responses, the problem appears to be system-wide and not linked to specific user devices or software versions.

For me, the problem started again yesterday, and is continuing today. I'm watching on Roku tv's and I've noticed that the series / shows that were supposed to be recorded yesterday and this morning are still listed under the 'Scheduled' tab, and they did not record. When I go to the live show, it says it is recording, but its not.

When I checked the app, these out of date scheduled shows did not appear.

I hope the moderator will send this up to engineering as a system-wide issue so that it can be appropriately resolved.

• The_Way_I_See_It
    edited May 2022

I had a program that was scheduled to start at 3:00. On the guide it speared the program was recording but at 3:10 it was not showing up in the recording list. I canceled the series and rescheduled the series and after about a minute it showed up in the recordings list. Because this action fixed an earlier scheduled recording I rescheduled all my series including this one earlier this morning hoping it would proactively stop the missed recordings. I doesn't appear to have worked on this one.

• Tspec
    Tspec Posts: 8 Participant
    edited May 2022

All my scheduled recordings ceased appearing in my Library at 8:00PM (EDST) Saturday, 30 April and still unable to view or record anything today. I have been recording programs on DVRs since 2005, and unless the power was out, never had a problem. This is my second go-round with Cloud DVR - I used ATT for a year before switching to Spectrum (only because their CDVR more than doubled in price) & ATT was 100% reliable in recording/storing/playback.. Athough CDVR technology does have the ablity to outperform all other methods of recording, Spectrum just can't seem to get with the program. (This same exact issue also happened to me from 19 to 22 April. Some shows did appear in my Library after 3 days of nothing, but not all. It was also considered a "known" issue at that time; heard same from tech support today - "it's a known issue, no further info at this time.") <sigh>

• MrWheat
    MrWheat Posts: 4 Spectator

Recordings stopped showing on the recorded list sometime Saturday. This same thing was broken 11 days ago now its not working again? I don't really get Spectrum new customer I was told they are the best and their app and dvr are error riddled. So disappointing.

• The_Way_I_See_It

Things are looking up. My recording scheduled for 6:00pm started as scheduled.

• soccer_fan99
    soccer_fan99 Posts: 3 Spectator

I canceled a series recording and then reinstated it, but it still has not recorded anything this evening. This is a mess, I'd use YouTubeTV, but Spectrum's internet costs are crazy without bundling discounts.

I don't know what Spectrum did over the last few weeks, but they really have messed up. the CDVR. Another annoyance is the way the fast forward works, or rather doesn't. Other systems show progress thumbnails so you can see where you are, but not Spectrum, it's all guesswork.

Fix this!

• The_Way_I_See_It

My 6:00am appears to have started recording correctly.

• Steph_S

That is great news!! I would like to advise that our engineers still are working on this.

• The_Way_I_See_It

Actually there is bad news. It appears to be recording but when I try to watch it I starts for about 30 seconds then I get an error message “ Service Unavailable We’re sorry, something didn’t work quite right. Please try again later. Reference Code:RCD-1007”. and can't play the recording. I get similar errors on my Android phone app and web page interface. I sent screenshots and info to the Community_Help handle message. where they appear to be coordinating with an engineer.

• Gizkok
    Gizkok Posts: 1 Newcomer

I've been having the same problem! None of my scheduled recordings were recorded at all on both Saturday and Sunday. I called tech support at Spectrum and spoke to 2 very nice gentlemen but neither seemed to have a clue as to why it happened or what they were doing about it. I felt as if I was the only person who had this trouble and now I see that I am not alone. I'm spending too much money on an unreliable service and I am not happy about it at all.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor

My take,

It seems that intgermittent problems are occuring with Cloud DVR across divisions. Personally, I recommend a conventional DVR box from Spectrum as it has a better reliablity track record. Cloud DVR remains a work in progress and seems to be hit and miss around the country. Unlike the boxes, cloud DVR is extreamlly depdent on reliable Internet signals and equipment. This must be taken into consideration.

There really should be monitoring teams for cloud DVR services in areas with wide clusters of problems for about 30 days of monitoring. The pattern seems to be good for two weeks, bad for a week, good for two weeks. The fixes don't seem to be holding for cloud DVR services.

In contrast cable box DVR, Internet, and Phone service have an excellent reliability record from Spectrum. Right now, the challenge to Spectrum is getting Cloud DVR to hold onto its reliability over extended periods of time, And for many customers with Cloud DVR service, that has not happened yet.

Satch

• The_Way_I_See_It

I am having some of the same problems again. .They are on the Roku., WEB and Android. Recordings are not showing up until several hours after being recorded. Some show up and then disappear and then come back with a different episode number. And now to top it off the RCD-1007 and WLP-999 errors are back on a couple recordings. Very frustrating.

This discussion has been closed.