You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Installing my own router

bobrunner1
bobrunner1 Posts: 13 Participant

With the lack of the 2.4ghz on the new Spectrum router I need to buy my own. Question, if I buy a WAVLINK AC3200 Dual Band WiFi Router,Smart Gigabit Router with Display,5Ghz/2.4Ghz, will this connect to the existing Spectrum modem? Also do I need to contact Spectrum to make any techical changes on their end?

Answers

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,076 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @bobrunner1!

Our new routers do still have 2.4Ghz WiFi, it is just broadcast under the same network name as the 5Ghz. Devices will connect to which has the strongest signal, usually 5Ghz when close or 2.4Ghz when further away. If you have 2.4Ghz only devices which do not have their own interface to choose your network and type in a password from, and instead connect through an app on a smart phone or other device that has 5Ghz, the simplest solution is to move further away with the phone so it switches to 2.4Ghz (you will usually see your speed drop to ~50 Mb/s when on 2.4Ghz,) and then you should be able to use the app to connect those devices.

If you do still wish to use your own router, there are no restrictions on the type of router you can use. There are no technical changes needed, but if you are currently using our WiFi you would want to return the router and request the removal of WiFi service as there is a $5/month charge for that.

• bobrunner1
    bobrunner1 Posts: 13 Participant

Spent an hour trying to connect to the smart plug/s. Testing speed on cell phone well below ~50 Mb/s. Had phone on airplane mode. No connection. These are the same units and process used when the original router with no issue and would connect in seconds. The new routers do not work with devises that only connect to 2.4Ghz, it seems. So many other comments state the same thing. Looks like Spectrum just wants us to buy our own router.

This discussion has been closed.