You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Recent update that changed Favorites, Locals - Channel Guide Categories - Spectrum app via Roku

scottknight
scottknight Posts: 2 Spectator

Did Spectrum change the spectrum app? On Roku when using the Channel Guide I can no longer get to Favorites, Locals or any of the other categories. In the past pressing the back arrow at the top of the remote would allow me to narrow the channel listing by selecting Favorites, Locals, as well as other categories they had listed. Now it just takes me back to the main spectrum screen. You can still flag/unflag a channel as a Favorite but there's no way to get to your list of Favorites via the Roku remote.

Best Answer

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @scottknight, welcome to our community!

There have been some changes to the app. When viewing the guide or mini guide you now hold down the "Okay" button to view the list of available guide filters.

Answers

• nfriend
    nfriend Posts: 1 Newcomer

The app no longer shows a better faster menu option when clicking the left arrow button. It just say click the right arrow for menu.

The Right arrow did that before but now the left does nothing.

Is there a reason for removing that option and making the left arrow useless?

Thanks for any input.

-Neil

• Randy_S
    Randy_S Posts: 514 Spectrum Employee

Good morning, @nfriend and welcome to the Spectrum Community.

We are not privy to the reasons why the engineers/app designers make the changes they do except that they do receive broader feedback they collect on usage stats and of course customer feedback.

So, while I can't tell you the specific time or reasoning the app designers said, "Aha! let's make this move..." I can tell you that I will pass your feedback along. Won't guarantee a change but most certainly appreciated.

Randy

• scottknight
    scottknight Posts: 2 Spectator

Hi @William_M Thank you! Yes that works! It was driving me crazy not being able to narrow the channel list. I see holding the "Okay" button also now includes ability to sort either by channel number or network. Also very helpful.

Now I have another question. Is there any way of displaying the "Info" about the program where it's positioned on the guide? I never found a way of doing this using Spectrum app via Roku. When using the regular Spectrum receiver and remote you can press the "INFO" key and it shows additional information about the program. Just curious if any way of doing this using Spectrum app via Roku.

Also one more question: Is there any web site that documents using the Spectrum app via Roku remote? (that would list the various remote "shortcut" keys and what they do for navigating the Spectrum app via Roku remote).

• Paul_B
    Paul_B Posts: 577 Spectrum Employee

Good afternoon @scottknight

I am glad that work. I found this support article on our website which might be of assistance for shortcuts and what not. https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/explore-new-spectrum-tv-app-roku

I am not aware of a way to change where the info is positioned on the guide, but I am happy to submit feedback to our app developers if you would like.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Paul_B

• airtas
    airtas Posts: 1 Newcomer

New update is terrible. Guide is slower, less info and filters take forever.

• airtas
    airtas Posts: 1 Newcomer

Is there anyway to roll back?

The guide is smaller, slower and filters take forever to get to.

Who tests this stuff and think this is a good idea?

• Community_Help
    Community_Help Posts: 27 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with the new update. We unfortunately are not able to revert back to a previous version of the app. Have you tried logging out of the app, reboot the device that you are using to see if there is any improvement?

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,610 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited June 2022

All -

Thanks for the feedback! We have forwarded your feedback to the app team.

They did ask us to let you know that the full guide is still available from the main menu and to look for a future version 7.8.0 release which will contain additonal improvements and fixes.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,610 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

@Y2Jericho

Will do! Thanks!

• guitarwiz1
    guitarwiz1 Posts: 1 Newcomer

You can add me to the list of people that are dissatisfied with the new app version.

I hate that everything pops up on the right side of the screen now.

The mini guide is useless now. I used to be able to click the left arrow and see what time a show started and ended. There was a clock on the mini guide as well. Now it takes two clicks to the right to get the same information as the previous version, and it's very slow in doing so.

• cyclonemike63
    cyclonemike63 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I mirror the comments that this new Roku update is absolutely terrible.. Please give us back the left arrow to get to the filters. The new "Hold OK" command is worthless and rarely works. It almost exclusively selects a channel instead of getting to the filters. No idea what developer thought this was a good system. I would also request a setting that allows the previous filter selected stays in place when leaving and returning to the App. I almost exclusively use "recent channels" filter and would like the option to allow that to stay. Thank you.

• Paul_B
    Paul_B Posts: 577 Spectrum Employee

Hello @cyclonemike63 and welcome to the Spectrum Community!

I will go ahead and pass along your feedback to our app developers regarding the latest update. Thank you for taking the time to bring it to our attention.

Paul_B

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

@Y2Jericho I'm sorry, we have not been provided any updates. Your feedback will be taken into consideration for future app updates.

• Choochoo
    Choochoo Posts: 1 Newcomer

I’m having the same issue as you are austdot.Iwill also add that when selecting desired channel I will at times end up on channel filter .I am using an older Roku and thinking I need a newer Roku?

• apdebecker
    apdebecker Posts: 18 Participant

Add me to the list of folks who think the new app is terrible. It worked great before; it was fast, intuitive, and responded instantly to the arrows. The new guide is awful. The controls are inconsistent; if you enter the guide then right-arrow again to expand it you can't left-arrow back and have to backspace to exit. The "hold OK to filter" is just horrible, it's super slow and half the time I end up selecting a channel instead of getting the filters. It's a total failure in UX (User Experience).

• unhappycust1
    unhappycust1 Posts: 3 Spectator

I sure hope an update comes out soon. It is very unusable the way it is. You try and select one channel and it goes up or down one channel. By the time you get to select the channel you want you have missed half of the program. Get it fixed sooner rather than later.

• MrBinCC
    MrBinCC Posts: 1 Newcomer

The update is horrible. It does not work properly. My 79 year old sister cannot use this garbage. Purple arrow left on Roku was easy for her to find and filter. On my account, I get mismatched channel numbers or duplicate channel numbers when I use RECENT or FAVORITES. Sometimes LogoTV shows the name of HSN that I have never watched and Game Show Network shows on multiple numbers, 177 and 179. TCM may be shown as 631 or 640 or something else but the other channels 620, 621, 623, etc.. are often mismatched. The clock no longer shows until you go ahead in the grid. The grid no longer tracks in real time. You have to move it manually to look for the current grid otherwise you get a picture and description of a show that was on hours ago. Filtering with the OK doesn't always work. Mine tends to default to ALL after changing to RECENT or FAVORITES or LOCALS.😒

This discussion has been closed.