You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

No IPv6

ShirBlackspots
ShirBlackspots Posts: 6 Spectator
This discussion was created from comments split from: Spectrum/Charter IPv6 Prefix Length.

Comments

• ShirBlackspots
    edited June 2022

I am in Wichita Falls, TX, which I suppose it in the Dallas/Fort Worth region.

FWIW, my modem is the Netgear CM1000. I was getting IPv6 for months on it until suddenly three weeks ago I no longer did. The modem does say IPv4 only for provisioning mode and I was getting native IPv6 until then.

• Mr_SoCal
    Mr_SoCal Posts: 3 Spectator

I am in San Diego. About one week ago I have lost IPv6. The call to technical support unfortunately did not help as the recommended actions boiled down to rebooting my modem. I wonder if that happened to others as well and what actions would you recommend to have it fixed. BTW I had IPv6 working for many years and I believe that it is a glitch and not that Spectrum decided to remove it from provided services.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited June 2022

Hi @ShirBlackspots and @Mr_SoCal, welcome to our community!

Are you unable to access IPv6 only websites or are you just seeing you are assigned a public IPv4 address instead of IPv6?

• Mr_SoCal
    Mr_SoCal Posts: 3 Spectator

Hello,

Right now my router gets a public IPv4 address and that works well, no complains. My problem is that for a long time together with IPv4 I would get a public IPv6 address as well but that is not happening now. There is no IPv6 route outside my private network so I cannot access any public IPv6 sites.

• ShirBlackspots
    edited June 2022

Since May 30th, Native IPv6 no longer works, so I just get an IPv4 address. I have found that 6to4 Tunnel works, if I set it to that in the router. Windows and the router does get an IPv6 address, but nothing else on the network does.

Windows Default Gateway shows as an fe80 IPv6 address (basically similar to 127.0.0.1)

https://ipv6-test.com/ shows IPv6 not supported

https://test-ipv6.com/ shows:

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be <IPv4 address>

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be <IPv6 address>

Your IPv6 service appears to be: 6to4

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be TWC-11427-TEXAS

To ensure the best Internet performance and connectivity, ask your ISP about native IPv6. [more info]

You appear to be using a public 6to4 gateway; your router may be providing this to you automatically. Such public gateways have no service level agreements; you may see performance problems using such. Better would be to get a native IPv6 address from your ISP. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

• HomeAdmin
    HomeAdmin Posts: 12 Participant

Looks like the problem is in your area only, no such IPv6 problem in Ohio.

• agh1701
    agh1701 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I too have lost IPv6 about June 24th after a power failure. please see here for more complaints.

[HSI] CFL IPV6 Issue? - Charter Spectrum | DSLReports Forums

I seems possibly that after the speed bump(the reason some on went into the CMTS) that customer owned modems are loosing IPV6.

• mainman1333
    mainman1333 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I'm also experiencing this issue. I had a line go down about 4-5 weeks ago and a tech came out to fix it. After that I have not been able to get an IPV6 address. I have my own equipment since 2017 and have had no issues getting a V6 address before then. My previous router was the Netgear R7800 and modem was Arris SB6183 then I upgraded in 2019 to my current setup which is the Netgear XR500 router and modem is Motorola MB8600.

I did find that I only get a V6 address when I use their modem which is the Hitron E31N2V1 . I called support and they weren't any help. Gave the same script "It might be your equipment". I've tested 3 different modems the Arris, Motorola, and I also bought a new one the Netgear CM1000. No success. That's no coincidence that all 3 of the modems can't get a V6 address but their modem can. Definitely not my router if I can get an address with their modem.

• petteyg359
    petteyg359 Posts: 2 Spectator
    edited July 2022

I'm in Austin, TX area and I also relatively recently lost IPv6. Can't say when exactly, but when I needed to connect to an IPv6-only host today, I could not. Have been using an SB8200 with my own router for ages with 100% uptime on my end (small UPS behind the network gear), and today DHCPv6 on the router isn't able to get anything.

• olafman
    olafman Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same here, looks like IPv6 is disabled in the modem config that spectrum provides for some unknown reason. I have used IPv6 (dual stack IPv4/IPv6) for years on a SB6190 then for the last few months on a SB8200 in the Raleigh, NC area. Then after an extended power outage that caused my modem to reboot, IPv6 is disabled (a packet capture shows zero IPv6 traffic received from Spectrum - no router/neighbor solicitations/advertisements) Many others have posted here about this - https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33423803-HSI-CFL-IPV6-Issue.

So far the workaround is to use a spectrum owned modem, not a customer owned modem.

• petteyg359
    petteyg359 Posts: 2 Spectator
    edited July 2022

The workaround doesn't work if Spectrum has repeatedly given you completely crappy pieces of unreliable crap. Random reboots, random reconnects, random failures that require manually power cycling... My SB8200 has thoudands of hours of uptime. The crap Spectrum gave me (that I returned only to get another piece of crap) barely ever achieved 24 hours.

This discussion has been closed.