You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

AppleTV screensaver turning on while watching on Spectrum app

ELAP
ELAP Posts: 2 Spectator

Just noticed this started yesterday evening. 6-25-22. I am watching CNN on Spectrum app and the screensaver kicks on every 5 minutes. I am able to hit the back button and live TV resumes. I verified all apps and tvOS are up-to-date. Please advise as this is incredibly frustrating.

Best Answer

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,611 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @ELAP

The app developers reached out and said this issue has been resolved. If you are still seeing the screensaver issue, please let us know. As well, please include the version you are using in your reply.

Thanks!

Answers

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 649 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hello @ELAP

Welcome to our community! I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the screen saver, that definitely sounds frustrating. You mentioned that you checked for updates, which is a great first step! Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app yet? .

• DylanS747
    DylanS747 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Unfortunately, I have had the same issue occur to me, and it has been going on for about two months or so. I have found that as soon as spectrum released an interface update to the Apple TV app in May I believe, it has bugged out ever since. When going to a channel, wether from the Home Screen, from the guide, or recently watched bar, there is a new interface that tells you the name of the show, an icon showing the show is live, and the timestamp bar does not seem to be communicating with what is being displayed, so it’s just showing up as blank, which must mean that the Apple TV thinks that nothing is playing. Then, once the screensaver timeout occurs, the screensaver displays because it thinks that it is inactive. I am currently on version 2.39 of the Apple TV Spectrum app and have checked for updates everyday. I have tried resetting the Apple TV completely, re-installing the app, checking for OS updates from apple, but nothing has worked. It would not be feasible to turn off the screensaver function on the Apple TV as I am using an OLED TV and run the risk of burn in. The tv has had no role in this issue as the screensaver is from the Apple TV detecting inactivity, not the actual tv itself. Ever since the new update of the OS of the spectrum app, it has started this and I have to swipe down to display the details of the show, then go back up for the show description and timestamp bar with the live icon that I described earlier to sync with what is displaying correctly, which at that point, it does just fine, but you can not change the channel without having to do it again if you want to watch for more than two minutes.

• ELAP
    ELAP Posts: 2 Spectator
    edited July 2022

@James_M this issue is (mostly) resolved. Before dev fixed in your post above, I found the screensaver issue to only occur when navigating to the Spectrum app and clicking the channel from the top row “last viewed” suggestions. If you select and open the Spectrum app then watch tv, the screensaver does not start. Since dev patched it, the screensaver issue is fixed when starting from top row. I do now notice a slight blip at 5 min mark when picking from top row, however it is very quick and barely noticeable. If I didn’t know there was a previous issue at the 5 min mark, this quick blip wouldn’t be noticed.

AppleTV 4K tvOS 15.5.1 (19L580)

Spectrum app 2.39 (4.45471046)

This discussion has been closed.