You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Cloud DVR Recordings stop and revert back to Recordings Menu

gklainer
gklainer Posts: 17 Participant

With one of the more recent updates, my cloud DVR recordings all stop playing and revert back to the Recordings Menu. At that point, they can be resumed and will play from the resume point. It seems about every 30 minutes this happens. We are using the Spectrum App through a Roku device. We have uninstalled and reinstalled the App but that doesn't help. Also, I have noticed on the half hour now when watching Live TV the recording icon appears for a few seconds. I'm assuming I'm not the only one having issues with the Cloud DVR recordings, however, I saw another post with someone stating this is happening during On Demand playback also. Any solution to this issue? Thanks.

Best Answers

• Steph_S
    Steph_S Posts: 515 Spectrum Employee
    Answer ✓

You're welcome. After running some diagnostics, I am not seeing any signal issues. I would ask that you please log out of the Spectrum TV app, turn off your RoKu and reboot the modem and router. Once that is complete, please go ahead and turn on the RoKu and re-open our app. Please let me know if this issue continues after this is complete.

• gklainer
    Answer ✓

Yes, with version 7.9 the problem appears to have been addressed. Still doing further testing but I haven't been getting the drop down banner every half hour any longer and my on demand recording did not bounce out on the half hour either.

Answers

• gklainer

Upon further testing this issue while watching a recorded program it always happens on the half hour. For example, tonight it happened at 8:00 PM and 8:30 PM. After it reverts back to the menu, it shows the recording in the resume state. Once resumed it plays for another 30 minutes before this issue happens again.

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 644 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hello @gklainer

Welcome to our community! I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the cloud DVR. You mentioned uninstalling and reinstalling the app, which is always a good first step! Have you rebooted the Roku device though the settings on the Roku yet?

• gklainer

Yes, the Roku was rebooted also. Unfortunately, that did not help either. Thanks for your response.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Do you have a different device you can test with?

• gklainer

No different device. I tried changing the Roku from Wired to Wireless but that didn't help. My internet has been stable and I have a lot of other connected devices that are working fine. I haven't added anything to the system. All that has changed is the recent updates to the Spectrum App.

• gklainer

I didn't mention I do have Peacock and other streaming services and none of them have this issue through the Roku.

• William_M
    edited July 2022

Are you watching recordings while the program is currently live or does this happen on all recordings? Could you try disabling bandwidth saver on your Roku?

• gklainer

Thanks for the response. It happens on all recordings. I have tried changing bandwidth saver but that didn't help. It only started with the Spectrum App recent update.

• gklainer

Thansk for the reply.

I have rebooted the Modem, Router, Roku and Spectrum App. I have tried it with data saver on/off, wired and wireless and I get kicked out of recordings every 30 minutes on the half hour. I then must go back in the recording and resume where I left off. No settings or changes were made on our end prior to this happening. The only difference is the latest update to the Spectrum App.

• gklainer

I was using a Roku Ultra connected via ethernet. I changed it to wireless with the same result. I tried a Roku Wireless streaming stick instead of the Roku Ultra. It still did the same thing. There was an update to my router which I applied but that didn't help either. Still bouncing me out of recordings on the half hour. So I have eliminated the modem router and Roku. I even unplugged my TV for several minutes and plugged it back in but that didn't help either. It all points back to the update on the Spectrum TV App.

• gklainer

In addition, I now have tried a TCL Roku TV connected to the Modem and Router. The TCL Roku TV has version 7.7 dated 5/18/2022 of the Spectrum App. The Roku Ultra in my Family Room has version 7.8 dated 6/15/2022 of the Spectrum App. The problem DOES NOT occur on the 7.7 version of the App from the TCL Roku TV. However, it DOES occur on the 7.8 version of the software no matter whether I'm using the Roku Ultra or another Roku device that I tried which was a Roku Streaming stick.

• William_M

Would you be willing to update the Roku on 7.7 to see if the same problem occurs when on 7.8? I understand if the same problems happens it will take away your one properly working Roku but it will be the best way to rule out any possible issues with the Roku Ultra.

• gklainer

I have already ruled out the Roku Ultra. In a previous post, I removed the Roku Ultra and tried a Roku Streaming Stick that had 7.8 on it. I had the same problem with the streaming stick.

• William_M

Can you check if the Roku's have a software update available, and update if so? If that does not help will you please confirm the software version they are currently on?

• gklainer

NO update available on the Roku Ultra or the Streaming Stick I tried. The Roku Ultra software version is the latest - 11.0.0 build 4193-46. No question the problem is 7.8 version of the Spectrum App.

• berniez1
    berniez1 Posts: 6 Participant

I can report that I have the exact same issue using the spectrum app through a Roku Express 4K 2021. It has the latest 7.8 software in it dated 6-15-2022. I have the same issue that exactly on every 30 minutes the record banner pops up for 2 or 3 seconds. It will do this always on the top of the hour and at the bottom of the hour. I am hard wired through ethernet cable. This started happening a few weeks ago, no doubt after the last update.

• Paul_B
    Paul_B Posts: 577 Spectrum Employee

Hello @berniez1 and Welcome to the Spectrum Community. What troubleshooting have you completed to attempt to resolve this issue? I ask so that we do not duplicate efforts.

Paul_B

• berniez1

I have tried everything. I uninstalled the app, reinstalled the app. Made sure I am signed in using my spectrum user name and password. Tried wireless and hard wired. This is clearly a bug in the spectrum app for Roku. It does not do this on my Samsung tvs using the spectrum app installed in those tvs. This only started happening in the last 2 or 3 weeks, exactly when the app was updated. This info needs to be forwarded to the software developer. This is very easy to duplicate. Next step is to throw out the Roku and try a different streaming device. The Samsung tv that the Roku is connected to will not support the cloud dvr using the native software in the tv build 2016. That is the only reason for using the Roku. The onboard Spectrum app in the tv works fine. I have 3 other newer Samsung tvs that I stream using the built in Spectrum software that work fine including the cloud dvr.

Bernie

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 644 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @berniez1

Just out of curiosity, have you rebooted the Roku device though the settings on the device yet?

• gklainer

Moderators,

@berniez1 is having the same issue I have had. If you read the previous posts, you will see multiple Rokus have been tried, rebooted and all have the latest software on them. In addition, I showed that version 7.7 on a Roku TCL TV did not have the problem. Unfortunately, it all points to the latest upgrade of the Spectrum software - version 7.8 dated 6/15/2022.

• gklainer

In a previous post moderator @William_M asked if I would be willing to update my TCL Roku TV from 7.7 to 7.8 of the Spectrum App to see if it would now have the problem I reported and @berniez1 has reported also. Moderator @Renee_T asked @berniez1 to reboot his Roku which I previously did and has no impact on the issue.

In the previous post, the TCL Roku TV under version 7.7 did not have the record icon drop down on the half hour nor did it bounce me out of recordings from my library on the half hour. Now that version 7.8 dated 6/15/2022 is on the TCL Roku TV, I have the same problem I am having with my Roku Ultra and Roku 4K stick that are on other TV's with 7.8.

As a 35 year IT software development professional, I would be glad to have someone from the development team call me through my account phone number to further discuss this issue. I can now say with 100% certainty the version 7.8 of the Spectrum App is causing the problem.

• berniez1

Yes I have rebooted the Roku. No joy. 7.8 is the issue.

• calibroker
    calibroker Posts: 11 Participant

7-12-22

@berniez1, @gklainer

This problem started at the beginning of June 2022. I called Spectrum tech support on June 4th and was on the phone with the technician for 39min and 27secs. We completed a variety of tests and checks i.e. rebooting of modem, router, uninstall/reinstall, sign in /out of the Spectrum App as well as the aforementioned tests in this ongoing thread. The tech even used a program on his end called “Masquerade” which allows the impersonation of the end-users account to mimic the issue. After multiple unsuccessful tests, he found out from his level 2 support peers that the issue was known and noted with the recently released Roku update which was released at the end of May or the beginning of June. Before we ended our call I was advised that the problem was actively being investigated and a future update should fix the noted issue. No time frame was given.  

As of July 12th at 11:01 PM P.S.T the problem still exists, and it ONLY affects the Roku devices mentioned in this thread. I’ve been following this thread hoping to hear about a resolution but I now felt it was time to chime in and provide some background history. The workaround that currently works is to stream your cloud DVR recordings through an Apple TV device. I hope my comments will provide some insight and help to relieve some of the back-and-forth frustration and get it resolved since it's now been over a month. 

• Rhyno86
    Rhyno86 Posts: 3 Spectator

I can confirm this is happening to me as well. Every 30 minutes exactly on the hour and half-hour if watching a Cloud DVR recording, we get kicked out back to the selection screen. I've done everything suggested - reboot, reinstall, update, blah blah blah all to no avail. The problem persists.

I'd just like to see Spectrum get out of the 1990s with their technology. Seriously, 1993 called and they want their Picture-In-Picture controls on the TV remote back.

• William_M

Hi @Rhyno86, welcome to our community!

It definitely sounds like you are having the same problem as @calibroker @berniez1 and @gklainer. When you say exactly on the hour and half hour are you saying it happens exactly at 7:00 PM, then 7:30 PM for example, or is it just 30 minutes from the time you started the recording? No error message comes up at any point? Is the issue intermittent or are you never able to view for more than 30 minutes?

• gklainer

@William_M As I stated previously it is on the half hour- 7:00, 7:30 etc. Never an error message. The issue is never intermittent. It always happens on the half hour. Seems like it should be an easy issue to address for @Rhyno86 , @calibroker , @berniez1 , and me. This issue should be at the very top of the priority list as it must be affecting millions of customers who use Roku devices.

• William_M

It's very unlikely to be impacting millions, I have not seen any complaints about this over Twitter or Facebook, I have tested this with my own Roku and have just passed 9:00 AM and then 9:30 AM while my recording continues to play, unfortunately it is not easy to address issues when we are not able to replicate them.

What channels have you tried to record programs on? It is happening on all channels?

Does the issue happen regardless of program length, 30 minute shows as well as 2+ hour movies?

Would you be able to do a factory reset on the Roku, then make sure everything is updated and test again?

• gklainer

@William_M Please stop acting like this isn't a major issue !! That's all you guys seem to do!!!

It happens on all recordings and channels despite length. I have tried three different Roku's one of which has already been factory reset. Fix the damn problem!!  @Rhyno86 , @calibroker , @berniez1 

• gklainer

@William_M You must not read the Facebook page as there are several complaints about this exact issue.  @Rhyno86 , @calibroker , @berniez1 

This discussion has been closed.