You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

DNS problems

Vile
Vile Posts: 7 Spectator

dns server isn't responding I was getting this often. I replaced router and cable modem. Just reinstalled windows and it is better but it still happens off and on.. Any ideas? Starting to wonder if my on board lan is getting bad..

Answers

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @Vile, welcome to our community!

DNS errors like that may be seen any time you lose internet access, they do not necessarily mean the DNS server is the problem.

Have you tried rebooting your modem and router when this happens?

Do you lose service on multiple different devices at the same time?

Any changes to the lights on the modem or router when it goes down?

• Vile

Have you tried rebooting your modem and router when this happens? Not only have I done that I have replaced Modem and router.

Do you lose service on multiple different devices at the same time? No Only my main PC. All other wired/wireless devices work fine

Any changes to the lights on the modem or router when it goes down? None.

It is random. Like coming back to this page I had to refresh the page because I got DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

So before I replaced Modem and router I Flushed the DNS, Release and renewed the IP I changed the DNS server from Charter/Spectrum to google and still same problem off and on. I'm on a fresh install of windows now and I still get the problem off and on. It will happen no matter if I'm using Google Chrome or Microsoft edge.

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 644 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Since the issue only seems to be happening on the PC, it is possible that it's a port/NIC card issue on the computer. Is the PC connected with an ethernet connection? If so, when you replaced the modem and router, did you replace the ethernet cord being used as well? It could potentially be the cord itself as well.

• Vile

I replaced the ethernet cord also. I get this off and on

This site can’t be reached

• Check if there is a typo in www.battle.net.If spelling is correct, try running Windows Network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

The windows trouble shooter most of the time shows no problem I hit refresh and then the page works. Sometimes the trouble shooter will show that the DNS is not responding. Yet it works just fine from all other devices.

• Paul_B
    Paul_B Posts: 577 Spectrum Employee

Hello @Vile

Have you tried a different browser or re-installing the current one to see if that changes anything? Also, do you happen to know if you have an custom DNS settings defined on this computer that could be causing what you are seeing?

Paul_B

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor

Could be an issue with recursive DNS lookup. Used to run into issues with Firefox a while back trying to run IPV6. Got tired of tinkering with it and just disabled v6 on my Asus router.

Pretty much resolved to leaving it off until I get more apps/devices besides my cell phone that can use v6 well.

• Vile

@Paul_B after a complete reinstall of windows I tried both Google Chrome and the default windows browser. DNS is default spectrum.net. I did try Google with the same outcome.

@RAIST5150 I'll have to look and see. I'm on my 3rd router. I'll double check when this stupid cold gives me some relief

• Vile

IPV6 Is not enabled at all. Still random problems. Must be on board LAN. Only thing I can think of. 3rd router, 2nd cable modem and new install of windows and new ethernet cable.

• Vile

Like this will pull up if i wait a few seconds without hitting refresh. Sometimes I do have to hit refresh. It's just with random sights

• check if there is a typo in www..creditapplication.harley-davidson.com If spelling is correct, try running Windows Network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,021 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

@Vile If the issue persists and is only with one device unfortunately it does sound like a problem with that device. I recommend contacting the manufacturer for further assistance.

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor

In that example there is a bit of typo though...

www..creditapplication.harley-davidson.com

vs

www.creditapplication.harley-davidson.com

Ideally though, that extra . should trigger a search in your default search engine though.

• Vile

So it's a bug with the Netgear software. Had to enable IPV6 and set it to auto. Now it works. Found this out after replacing my router 3 times.

This discussion has been closed.