You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Closed caption misses first line of dialog

Rburns59
Rburns59 Posts: 25 Contributor

When using closed caption it consistently misses first line of dialog after a scene change. After that it works until the next scene change. On a possibly unrelated note when there are captions on a commercial the last line will often hang onscreen for a while after the commercial ends. The issue is across most channels and recordings. Is there a setting I can alter or something else I can do?

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,272 Contributor
    edited September 2022

Hello @Rburns59,

Some questions,

1.) On what device(es) does this occur? Cable, Box/DVR? Spectrum App? Spectrum website?

2.) Does this happen on all channels? Some channels? Or only one channel?

3.) Are some programs affected more than others?

4.) Have you rebooted the equipment on which this occurs?

Satch

• Rburns59

the device is my cable box/dvr

it happens on most channels, can't say it doesn't happen on any channel

it doesn't matter which program

it occurs on both live TV and recorded programs

the equipment has been repeatedly rebooted

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 666 Contributor

If it’s a Spectrum Guide receiver, you could try to reset Closed Captioning settings: Menu > Settings & Support > Accessibility > Closed Captioning Settings > Reset Closed Captioning. Otherwise you could try to disable CC, turn off, disconnect power, wait for a few minutes, reconnect power & boot up, & then re-enable CC. If that doesn’t help, it might be that the receiver decoder is somehow starting to crap out.

• Satch

I would try @HT_Greenfield's suggestion of Closed-Captioning reset and than power off for five minutes. Plug back in and reboot the box. FYI Spectrum has a phone number and snail mail address to report closed-captioning issues here:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/report-closed-caption-issue

I would contact them before swapping the box. For references pertaining to this discussion thread, what is the make and model of your cable box?

Satch

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 666 Contributor

One other thing you could try, at least if it’s not a Spectrum 1xx or Spectrum 2xx receiver, is to send a reset packet from the head end. Log on to your Spectrum account, tap on Your Services, then TV, then View Equipment, then Experiencing Issues?, then Reset Equipment & see if that kind of reset does anything to fix the problem.

• Satch

Sup @HT_Greenfield?

Several options for the OP. A question. Based on your above suggestion, does that mean you can't reset Spectrum World Boxes online? The reset equipment prompt oneline should work for all box models. All I know is that, you can't record to your DVR if it's a World Box with the Spectrum App, yet.

Since OP mentioned it's not on all channels, I don't think it is the box. But I still think the equipment reset and cold reboot after waiting five minutes is a good thing to try! Than contact the Closed-Captioning Department that Spectrum provides at the link I posted above. If the cold reboot after a five minute wait does not work.

Kudos to Spectrum for having a Department that deals with Closed Captioning equipment issues!

Satch

• Satch

Another question for @Rburns59?

In addition to your box make and model, are you running Spectrum Guide on that box?

If not sure, Google Search, "What guide do I have, Spectrum?" First result will be a page where you can enter your street address and zip code. You will than see the cable guides for your area. I would mention your box make and model, along with the guide running on it, should you contact Spectrum's closed-captioning department.

Satch

• Rburns59

Thank you both for the responses.

I have the ODN menu, it's a spectrum box. the reboot is ineffective.

I will try the support department.

• Satch

Any updates on this inquiry, @Rburns59 ?

Regards,

Satch

This discussion has been closed.