You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Why am I being contacted about 'Proactive Maintenance'?

Ede_Lu
Ede_Lu Posts: 14 Participant

Spectrum keeps contacting me about some unknown issue they’re having with my equipment. I have three cable boxes and a modem. I’ve returned one cable box and the modem recently and they continue to insist a tech must come out. What for? they can’t tell me what the issue is, where it’s coming from? They want me to allow one of their employees to what? exactly?

When i needed help to create a guest network to allow my solar company a connection they told me not worry about it, to just hand over my wife password to the solar employee. Now they want me to allow one of their employees to just come in without knowing where their problem is coming from.

Im willing to return whatever equipment they want but i have a feeling it won’t resolve the issue they’re concerned about. How do i get this issue resolved?

Answers

• Randy_S
    Randy_S Posts: 514 Spectrum Employee

Good morning, @Ede_Lu and welcome to the Spectrum Community.

I was able to lookup your account with your login credentials. Those call are from us and I do see some signal interference on your upstream for your Internet connection. So it is a legitimate issue our system detected in the hopes of getting it corrected before it may potentially worsen. A tech appointment would be necessary to check all the lines and connections in and around your home to find out where the interference is coming from and fix it.

You can schedule the TC via the methods sent to you or I can private message you from our Community_Help account to verify the account and set it up that way.

Just let me know how best I can help.

Randy

• Randy_S

I also moved this thread from the TV category to hear because it looks like the issue is related to your Internet service. The TV Signals look good.

Randy

• Ede_Lu

i returned the modem, got a new modem, i connected to the same line. the line hasn’t changed. your service wouldn’t help me with a guest network for the solar company that wanted access to my wifi password. what other connection via the new mode, you gave me, caused this problem?

can i just shove the line back out the little hole in the wall and let the tech hook the modem up outside and let him work from out there? or should i just end internet services with you?

• Ede_Lu

if the cane line can’t go back out the wall i can shove it out the window if the cord is long enough. i might need a bit more cable to reach the window but i think a splinter and some more line would work to get it out the window. can i have the tech do this from outside?

• Ede_Lu

will i get the techs name so i can run a thorough background check before his arrival?

• Randy_S

We are not provided the techs name. We just set up the appointment and local dispatch assigns the techs. The Tech would need to check inside and out but I can say you request they only check outside. However, if they determine it is not outside and are not allowed to check inside it could result in a trip charge of $49..

Would you like us to Private Message you from here with our Community_Help handle to set up the appointment? Or if you prefer, you can call us at 1-855-707-7328 to set it up.

Randy

• Ede_Lu

I’d rather return the modem, end the service and find another company. thanks for your support.

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor

There can be a series of splitters in wall outlets, closets, junction boxes, etc. that break lines out to multiple rooms in your home.

Each of those connections, splitters, and lines can become a potential point for noise to enter and/or exit the system.

This is why things need to get checked out both inside and outside your home.

If you are up to it, can try running your own dedicated quad-shield RG6 line (or better if the market supports it) from the modem through to the point where their line enters the home to help reduce signal loss and such for JUST that run, which may improve some aspects of the signal.

BUT... if that line is still combined with wiring throughout the house even at that first split, you can still run into issues if that wiring is in bad shape, poor quality, not terminated properly, etc. to the point it leads to noise ingress or other degradation.

So long as you are dealing with radio signals for communication (be that wireless or across a coax cable), there will be these kinds of potential issues that rear their ugly head from time to time. Sometimes not even in your own home... could be originating next door or down the street. They have to rule out your home and point of demarcation first though, then start looking elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.