You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Spectrum App Audio Sync is Way off!

AppProblems
AppProblems Posts: 21 Contributor

I've had nothing but problems since switching to the Spectrum cloud DVR. I have both Apple TV and Roku and have the same issues on both. In addition to my TV going out at least one day a week, I now have serious audio sync issues on both TVs. I've done everything- changed my settings, restarted my modem, uninstalled/reinstalled the apps, nothing is working. Over the last 2 - 3 weeks it's gotten to the point where my tv is almost unwatchable bc the audio sync is so off. I have to exit the app & go back to reset every few minutes!

Best Answer

• Steph_S
    Steph_S Posts: 515 Spectrum Employee
    Answer ✓

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues. I have sent some signals to refresh the services. With the signals being sent can you please log out of the app, reboot the Roku. To restart the Roku as follows:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.

2. Scroll and select Settings.

3. Select System.

4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.

5. Select System restart.

Please reopen the Spectrum TV app and see if the issue continues.

Answers

• RubberChicken
    RubberChicken Posts: 5 Spectator
    edited January 2023

Lately the Spectrum app on AppleTV will go out of synch. It will be ok for a while, then will go out. Often this is when a show comes back from a commercial. I’ve updated the app as well as the AppleTV itself. Is this a TVOS issue or a Spectrum app issue? It doesn’t seem to affect other apps, only the Spectrum app.

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 644 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited January 2023

Hello @RubberChicken

Welcome to our community! We have reached out to our app team to have them look into the audio sync issues with the app. Once we have any information, we will update with a post on the community to let customers know.

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 341 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited January 2023

Good evening @KelliB and Welcome to our Community Forums

Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your Apple TV. I am sorry to learn that you are noticing a concern with the audio. I will need some additional information in order to investigate this further. Are you noticing any audio issues while using any other Apps or is this only impacting our Streaming App? Also, do you have any other devices that you can try our Streaming App on? -Lyn

• Steph_S
    Steph_S Posts: 515 Spectrum Employee

Thank you. Have you tried rebooting the modem/router and reset the Apple TV? Is this happening on all channels?

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,607 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Thanks @KelliB. I was able to locate your account using your registration information and it looks like the modem has been online 9 days. Since the app communicates with the device using the modem, can you try restarting the modem again and let us know if the issue continues?

• James_M

@AppProblems

Looking closer at your account, I am seeing that your modem signals are out of range, which can cause the issues you are seeing. We recommend having a service call to address the issue. If you need assistance setting this up, let us know.

• James_M

It references the upstream and downstream internet signals being delivered to the modem through the coax and requires a technician on site to address.

• James_M

Thanks for the reply. Can you also try restarting the Apple TV and Roku from the settings menu and let us know if the issue still continues?

• James_M

Understood, however now that the signal issues have been addressed, you would need to repeat the original steps taken, including resetting the devices from the settings menu and it is recommended that you also delete and reinstall the app since there was a recent update. This will ensure everything is up to date, any old data is cleared and usually resolves most issues.

• Tjemisonsr
    Tjemisonsr Posts: 3 Spectator

I am having the same isssue with app on my Apple TV. Lip sync gets off by 10 seconds. I have to reset the app to fix it. This is not happening with any other app on the Apple TV. This started about 4 weeks ago, very frustrating.

• RubberChicken
    RubberChicken Posts: 5 Spectator

I have the same issues and have done the exact same things as you have recommended to the other poster on this thread. Nothing works! I will say that I’ve had the app on AppleTV for a couple of years now and it used to work fine. It was a couple months ago that the problems started. It clearly is a problem with an app update. I used to do debugging for a major manufacturer of studio audio equipment. I know what I’m talking about when I tell you it is definitively a problem with the app itself. It is not a hardware issue.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor

Hey Guys,

I don't use the Spectrum TV App, but a tech guy posted to try this here:

On an Apple TV, one can try to toggle the "Match Frame Rate" setting in Settings > Video and Audio > Match Content to see if things get better/worse.

Post your results.

I don't have any other information about other platforms at this time. I was informed that the service techs who come to your house really can't do anything about app problems. They only deal with installations, equipment swaps, signal/line checks, and equipment/line upgrades. Unfortunately, users might have to wait this out til an update fix can be applied for everyone.

Satch

• James_M
    edited January 2023

Thanks for confirming. We have reached out to our app team to have them look into the audio sync issues with the app. Once we have any information, we will update with a post on the community to let customers know.

• Mbostian80
    Mbostian80 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am having the same issue with the Apple TV app. I’ve done all the reboots, delete/reinstall etc. Here’s what I’ve observed: The audio will “glitch” where 1-2 seconds of audio will repeat and then the audio is out of sync. Video does not glitch.

to fix it, I can change to another channel within the spectrum app or close/restart the app. However, the glitching appears to be totally random, meaning it may occur frequently, sporadically or not at all. It has occurred on 3 different Apple TV devices.

• amd723
    amd723 Posts: 2 Spectator

I've been having the same issue for over a month. A call to customer service did nothing to help. I've done everything suggested and nothing works. Spectrum needs to at least communicate that they know it's an issue and that they are working on it rather than their techs acting like they've never heard of anyone else having this problem! Everything was fine until one of the app updates, so you'd think they could figure out what they did wrong.

• Soop1981
    Soop1981 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited January 2023

I have been having the same issue as people above. I have 3 Apple TVs all different models and they all do the same thing so it’s not the Apple TV unit. 2 of the Apple TVs are on Wi-Fi and 1 is hard wire Ethernet directly to the router, all having the same issue. I have even contacted Apple to make sure all my settings and connections are correct which they are. I have had a service tech out. He replaced all connections and replaced the modem. I have replaced the router all to no avail. No other problems with any other apps, this has to be a spectrum tv app issue. This issue has been going on far too long , at least 2 1/2 months. Please get it fixed. We have already been looking at other tv options if this isn’t fixed soon.

• DG56
    DG56 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I’m new to Spectrum, just moved to Maine. Have the same issue, and did a search and came to this string. Prefer to not be a non-paid beta tester for Spectrum! Will keep a watch to see if they figure this out. I just back out of the app (using Apple TV) and come back and it is fine until a commercial and it goes out of sync again. Honestly, it’s amazing this all works as well as it does, given all the variables that Spectrum can’t control (updated Apple TV, multiple Wi-Fi versions,, numerous manufacturers of TVs, yadda yadda). But hopefully they’ll figure this out soon. Very annoying and should not continue for more than a month (now that they have been alerted) before they should start rebating monthly fees to those impacted.

• Satch

Guys,

I don't know how much of a consolation this is, but I will at least try to interject my thoughts on the Spectrum TV app mess:

The reasons why the Spectrum Call Center reps, field techs, and bucket techs, can't do anything about this issue is because Spectrum considers the Spectrum TV App to be a bonus. And bonus features do not get the same priority of service as something like CATV, Internet, Voice, or Mobile being out . If CATV, Internet, Voice, or Mobile goes out, the data testing and feedback collection takes much less time to work out a solution to a problem, because the whole company has experience and insight to work out problems and go up the chain because they have years of experience with that technology.

But when an app goes out and has a problem, this is a much newer experience for company personell. It can involve testing and coding between two or more company technologies, in this case, the Spectrum App and Apple TV. This is not a case of replacing a line drop, updating wiring, updating a drop line, or swapping out a modem, router, or box. This is a case of communication between two different companies with Spectrum and Apple, with a buggy app, where the basic troubleshooting steps have not worked. I suspect that it is much harder to reach out to the program developers, with the time to write, test, and impliment new update code, than to dispatch a field tech or bucket crew to fix wiring or update equipment.

Big companies can make mistakes, and it appears that this November 2022 update, for whatever reason, was pushed out too fast.

Satch

• Satch

Sup @AppProblems?

It sounds like Spectrum needs to hire more people who have specific knowledge and know how to fix issues with the Spectrum app.

Satch