Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Xumo Stream Box

Answers

• GAT
    GAT Posts: 7 Participant

The only saving grace is that you can voice command to an app rather than having to scroll and search. But still, it’s inexcusable that they don’t allow Xumo streaming box users to customize their apps list, especially when they apparently have it on Xumo TV devices!

• Korona165
    Korona165 Posts: 88 Contributor

I kind of like this box there are somethings that need work and hopeful things will only get better. A few things that I see as of now that needs work is all software that can be fixed by software updates and really nothing to do with hardware. It needs more ability to customize I would like to see one place to find all the Apps it needs would apps. And I would like to see the box never turn off but when not in use sit in very low power mode. I found a bug also that should be fixed. I use the MLB. TV App everyday even after using it everyday it doesn't add/show up in my most used apps. To open it 1I use the voice button to say open MLB. TV or 2 I have to find the Sports section and from there you Sports Top Apps and it's listed in there.

• NanaTC
    NanaTC Posts: 44 Contributor

As for the box never turning off....Go to settings, start up and standby, Networked standby mode, it keeps your device connected to the internet when in standby mode, tick that to enable.

Overnight power saving... Put your stream box in standby mode at night to save energy, enable that. Sleep timer, make sure its set to Off.

• NanaTC

Thanks, I forgot about being able to open an app with the voice remote. I have a voice remote with my Roku, but since the layout is so easy I never use it. Guess thats why I didn't think to use the Xumo voice to open an app.

I commented in an earlier post about having a reboot option. A user at DSLReports says you can just say Reboot and it works.

I'm totally with you on the app customization, if that and being able to download additional apps isn't added it will be a deal breaker for me.

• NanaTC

I've been using the Xumo for 5 days now. I've done the survey and there wasn't really any place to say what we would like added so I'll say it here. Maybe the moderator here can pass this on to the support team.

1. I want to be able to download additional apps.

2. I want to be able to customize the app list.

Even though I do like the Xumo if these 2 items aren't added I will be forced to go back to my Roku as my primary device. Not being able to download additional apps is extremely important to me. I'm not going to to switch between devices, call me picky, but I want all my apps available on one device.

• Korona165
  • Korona165

I thought the survey was very basic and not a lot of questions for a device that's in testing. It was almost about Spectrum wanting to know if you still paid for cable or if you're a cord cutter. I don't think it had a lot on the device itself. Also I am a bit confused because in the email and survey it said because you answered the survey you can keep it for free for as long your a Spectrum customer. I was not told that when I called to get my box. I was told it was free for a year as long as you did the survey then it went to $5.00 a month.

• NanaTC
    edited August 2023

When I called to get mine the Rep told me to do the survey and the Xumo would be free as long as I am a Spectrum customer.

After you did the initial survey was you offered the opportunity to continue to answer more questions for a $10 Amazon gift card? I continued and after I did the extra questions it asked if I would be willing to do 4 more surveys which I would get an additional $10 gift card for each survey plus a $50 bonus gift card after the 5th survey. I'm going to do all the surveys hoping there will be a chance to say what we would like to have added and improved.

• Jim72
    Jim72 Posts: 2 Spectator

All good comments on features lacking and the nice ones. I also find that going to say Hulu loading of apps is slow.

• GAT

Ok, I just noticed that my most recently accessed apps are in the list that is above the main app list! I never noticed before because I had never scrolled to the left before, only to the right. So if you go the “Top Pick for you”, which is right above the “Apps View all” list, and then scroll left you will see your recently accessed apps. So I have MLB.tv, ESPN, Pluto TV and other apps I use that are not in my main apps list, as well as apps that are in my main apps list that I use. So I can access those apps directly from there instead of having to search for them or use voice commands. It’s not like being able to customize my apps list but it’s WAY better than having to search for them. And all of the apps that you regularly use will be all right together in that row easily accessible. Little by little we are finding reasonable work arounds to most of the issues we initially found. Now if we could just download additional apps……….

• NanaTC
    edited August 2023

Thank you!

I just checked and mine are there too when you scroll to the left. Like you I never thought of that either.

Yes, if its fixed so we can download additional apps I'll be happy.

• NanaTC
    edited August 2023

When you do the survey, at the end if it asks you if you want to continue to give more info and to receive an Amazon gift card do it. I just did my second servey today and this time it asks more questions on how I like the features of the Xumo and it gave me the opportunity to say that I would like to be able to download additional apps. It ask which apps I used that aren't pre-installed on the Xumo.

If enough of us continue to do the extra surveys and tell them we want to be able to download additional apps maybe they will listen.

• Korona165

I was offered a chance to to win gift cards if I wanted to do more surveys. A lot of Apps I use load slow too.

• NanaTC

You said you can download other apps to the device. How do you do that please? I can't seem to figure that out.

• Korona165

I think we are stuck with the Apps that are preloaded.

• NanaTC

Unfortunately I think your right. This is definitely a dead breaker for me, changing channels with number pad isn't that important. If there isn't a software update where we can download apps by the time the Xumo is released to the general public mine will be unplugged.

Last night I had to go back to my Roku just to watch a movie I had saved because the app wasn't available on the Xumo.

I was looking at the entire app section and noticed there isn't even network apps like ABC, CBS & NBC.

• Korona165

That's why I can't walk away from my Roku. I am not saying this is everyones case. But if you look at it the Xumo is for Spectrum and Comcast customer. And they load it with there own TV App so I don't think they would offer Apps like Fubo or any other cord cutting Apps that would compete against there own Apps. Comcast and Spectrum part own Xumo and who owns Comcast NBC so I think the Apps they might add will be NBC owned like USA, Bravo things like that. I also think they had no choice to add Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon and Max. Those are top Apps a lot of people use. And if you didn't add them well who's going to use your product if you don't even support the most used Apps. I saw something that instead of signing customers up for basic cable Spectrum will just sell a streaming package using the Xmuo. I don't know how true that is.

• NanaTC

You are correct about the NBC owned apps, they are installed on the Xumo, I made a mistake earlier. NBC app is the only major local network app installed.

I'm a Spectrum streaming TV customer, I have TV Choice, I'm just glad I did the trial for the device. I wouldn't have been a happy camper if I had waited till it was for sale and bought it not knowing you couldn't download additional apps.

Spectrum is gonna have to come clean about not being able to download additional apps to the Xumo. If they don't they will have some unhappy customers if the device is what there planning on replacing the current receivers with.

• Korona165

Agree

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,669 Contributor
    edited August 2023

There is a possibility,

That because this new streaming box is in test-phase only, that Spectrum is intentionally limiting third-party apps to add to it because they want to start very very slowly with apps that they can control and know will work well. They don't want to add an app that hasn't gone through testing on the device yet, and keep the device smooth and simple for testing and research as feedback is processed.

Than, very gradually, they will probably add more third-party apps, once quality control is smooth and stable with the Beta.

Satch

• NanaTC
    edited August 2023

I'd like to believe that, but I don't think it will happen. If there gonna sell this device in Walmart there either gonna have to add the ability to download additional apps or add in the description that the feature isn't available. I know I wouldn't knowingly buy a device that I couldn't download additional apps too.

There's plenty of junk apps, (69 games) on the device that I would like to be able to remove, plus loads of music apps I'll never use, but there's isn't an option to do that.

Why put so many games on the device and not tried and true network apps like ABC, CBS, SYFY, CNN and FOX NEWS just to name a few.

I like to have access to most of the network apps that are in my Spectrum TV subscription. If the Spectrum app goofs up and I'm watching something I don't want to miss I can just switch over to that apps live stream and not miss the rest of the program.

As I said in an earlier post, if being able to add more apps isn't added to the device that will be a deal breaker for me. I'm not going to switch back and forth between devices. Call me picky, but I like everything I watch on one device.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse into the ground, I'm just trying to tell Spectrum to add the ability to download additional apps and to be able to remove the ones I don't use or want.

• GAT

I am fully on board with the need to download additional apps. It’s possible that these are the apps that are currently available for the Xumo streaming box platform. There needs to be a demand for apps before the developers will write compatibility into the app. If the demand incentive is there then the hope is that the apps will eventually come. Just as Roku had limited apps to begin with compared to Apple TV (and still has way fewer), the same will be true with a newer platform like Xumo. If Xumo TV devices already have those apps available then it should be a relatively simple task to port them over to the streaming box. I am satisfied enough with the number of issues that we have resolved on this forum that I am going to continue to support Xumo in hopes that app developers will see enough of a market to create their apps for use on the Xumo platform. If we are patient enough I have high hopes it will happen. And if it doesn’t then the Xumo streaming box will disappear anyway.

• NanaTC

Whats everyones thoughts on the Xumo streaming box so far?

Anybody found any useful tips or found any new annoying or missing functions?

I found something that annoyed me yesterday. I have TV Choice and edited my channels to switch out a couple that are in the dispute with a couple that aren't. I thought if I refreshed the apps on the Xumo after doing that it would do the Spectrum Checking Subscription thing and the guide would be updated with the new channels. That didn't work, I had to unplug the box for a few seconds to get the guide to update. They need to find a better way than that. Roku has a "restart app" option for Spectrum that checks the subscription without having to reboot the device. Xumo needs to do that too, if your watching something and the app freezes it takes to long to reboot after unplugging.

• Satch

I don't have this Streaming Box,

However, customers in this thread who are participating in this trial have said the box needs the ability to reboot from the menu, like the regular STB's/DVR's have.

Satch

• NanaTC

Just done my 4th survey for the Xumo Stream Box. This time there was two opportunities to give feedback on the features I would like to have that are not currently available and any improvements.

I made sure to emphasize that I wanted an app store to be able to download additional apps that I use that aren't on the Xumo. I made it clear that this feature was the deciding factor in whether or not I make the Xumo my primary streaming device.

Also want to be able to uninstall the apps I don't want or need and to be able to customize my apps list.

Last, but not least I want to be able to reboot from the settings menu.

I do like the Xumo and I'm hoping the support team takes these features that I talked about seriously.

• Korona165

Where are the surveys coming from? I took the very first one and that's it I have not gotten anymore. I don't like how you can't customize the home screen it needs more Apps. The Apps they have now some of them need to be faster to startup.

• Satch

Is the Xumo streaming box like the Spectrum TV app? Can it be interchanged with different devises? Do you get the same channels that you get On Demand? How many apps are there at this time?

Satch

• Korona165

Yes the Spectrum TV App is the main TV App on the Xumo the App is the same as the Roku. It has all on demand as a cable box and the other Spectrum TV Apps. Now there are not to many Apps on it. You have Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, YouTube, HBO Max, that's mostly all the major ones a lot of junk Apps.

• NanaTC

At the end of the first survey I was asked if I'd like to continue to give additional feedback, which I did. If you didn't continue then that was probably the only survey you will get.

• NanaTC
    edited September 2023

The Spectrum app is the same on the Xumo Stream Box as it is on a Roku, it works the same. Only difference is the Spectrum app on the Xumo is set to open when the Xumo is powered on and of course you can key in the channel number like on a standard receiver box. On my Roku when I open the Spectrum app it always checks my subscription, doesn't do that on the Xumo.

I haven't tried the Xumo on another device, but it should work if I moved it to another TV the same as the Roku does.

As for the apps...Its got a lot, but most are junk apps like music and games. Way too many popular network apps missing. There's at least 6 or 8 apps I use on Roku that aren't on the Xumo.

Another person here said you can reboot/restart the Xumo with Voice command. I tried and it didn't work so if I need to reboot it I still have to unplug it. Had to do that the other day when I changed some programming on my Spectrum app. Wish Xumo had the feature like the Roku where you can just restart the app and update the programming, but as of now it doesn't. There's no way to do anything with the Xumo apps except click on and open them.

This discussion has been closed.