Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Spectrum 400mbps Network Keeps Dropping Out - SOLVED (required tech visit)

D_Mac2373D_Mac2373 Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited September 30 in Connectivity Sep 22, 2020

Two weeks ago I opted to upgrade to Spectrum's 400mbps internet from the 100mbps I had previously. I had zero issues with the 100mbps modem which included voice. I switched because I simply needed more speed for everybody's needs.

When I called Spectrum about the upgrade I was told to bring my current modem to the store and exchange it. When I got there I was informed by the associate that I also needed to connect this router to the system as well. I explained that I already had a mesh router system at home but he said it needed to be run through the new router. So the new system runs from the new modem to the Spectrum router to my mesh network via Ethernet cable.

Since the 400mbps modem and router have been in place I have had 3 technician visits (different person each time), 3 different modems and 2 different Spectrum routers. The problem has been, and continues to be, intermittent dropping of my internet. Although the problem has diminished significantly from when it began, I still have 3-5 instances a day when it drops.

When the internet drops different things can occur. Sometimes the modem reboots, sometimes only the blue "voice" light goes out and the phone and the router both go out and then they reset quickly. The number on the modem is EU2251

I have read from previous posts a while ago that say I should request signal monitoring and tier 3 support. Can anyone tell me about either of these?

Another question I have is regarding the Spectrum modem. Do I really need to route the Ethernet cable from the Spectrum modem to the Spectrum router and then only to my mesh network?

Tagged:

Comments

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 23, 2020

I apologize for the issues. You don't technically need to use our router if you do not want to use our wireless service. Please try the service without our router plugged in and see if that is any better and let us know.

-Tyleen

• D_Mac2373D_Mac2373 Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Sep 25, 2020

With the question of the router resolved, my question about the dropping of internet numerous times a day still remains. Does anyone have any thoughts on why this might still be occurring?

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25 Sep 25, 2020

@D_Mac2373

The "fast" resets are likely because a downstream channel became too unreliable so it scanned for a cleaner one to replace it.

The longer cycles are likely the same on the upstream side (if it gets so bad that upstream power has to increase more than 51, it may trigger a full reboot). Or it could have been a temporary loss of signal.

Basically, either there is to much noise on the line, too low of a signal level, or something causing an intermittent loss of signal that technicians are going to have to isolate.

We really can't speculate any more beyond that. If we had snapshots of signal levels we might be able to better identify which scenario is more likely.

You may be able to spot some compromised cabling or loose/corroded/wet connectors along your cable run that you could attempt to address that might help clear things up a bit... but it sounds like you need techs on site to take a closer look at things to discern if it is something local or further upstream that needs to be escalated to maintenance teams and such.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,354 Lead Mod
    Sep 25, 2020

Sorry to hear you are still having issues after tech visits. Since you are still seeing the modem drop we would encourage you to talk to support and have a follow up appointment scheduled.

Julia_R

• D_Mac2373D_Mac2373 Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Sep 30, 2020 Accepted Answer

Good news! The 4th Spectrum technician was able to correct my problem. He had more robust equipment than the other techs and was able to see a problem on his meters immediately. He went outside and worked on my cable drop for a while. Then he put a filter on my modem connection and swapped out an amplifier along with other various connectors. I have not lost connectivity since the tech left a day ago.

I want to thank everyone for their help.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,350 ADMIN
    Sep 30, 2020

Good news! The 4th Spectrum technician was able to correct my problem. He had more robust equipment than the other techs and was able to see a problem on his meters immediately. He went outside and worked on my cable drop for a while. Then he put a filter on my modem connection and swapped out an amplifier along with other various connectors. I have not lost connectivity since the tech left a day ago.

I want to thank everyone for their help.

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that all is corrected ! I marked post as solved.