Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

How many Xumo users are satisfied with the device?

Terry_McCann
Terry_McCann Posts: 17 Participant

I tried the Xumo box in March 2024 to get an idea of what life will be like when Spectrum eventually drops support for the set to DVR. I was completely underwhelmed. Slow response and the well known random shutoff being the most annoying. I've used the Spectrum app on my Roku and found that to be much more pleasing. The big thing I don't like is I cannot directly access channels because the Roku remote does not have a numeric keypad.

So, I'll ask my fellow Spectrumers: If you have used the Xumo box are you still using it and how happy are you with the experience.

Terry

Best Answer

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,594 Contributor
    Answer ✓

Xumo Feedback- Unless Familiar With Streaming Remotes and Devices- Keep/Ask for Traditional Box/DVR

As an old school cable guy since 1985. I really hope that Spectrum continues with traditional boxes and standard DVR's for years to come. The streaming remote on my Samsung TV is a nightmare to use, which is one of the many reasons why we still love cable TV. Everything in one place, and navigation that has been a staple and easy to use for customers for decades. Sadly, if Spectrum ever totally dropped support for a traditional DVR, they would very likly be forced to lose a customer since 1985. Me. Here's why:

1.) I have medical issues and live with an elderly person also with medical issues. She can't work a steaming remote. And for me it is a challenge and I am literally a cable tech guy! I have never been able to warm up to streaming. If you go with a streaming vendor you have to sign up for 2-3 providers to give all the variety that cable TV gibes you.

2.) Caller ID on TV with Spectrum Voice and a traditional cable box is critical, and a must have. Xumo does not have Caller ID on TV.

3.) A customer told me today that when his Clickr Backlite remote gave out, (Great remote!) he went to a Spectrum Store to exchange it and said, "They aren't giving that remote anymore." He had an older DCX 3400 box and the office gave him an XUMO remote. It took days for him to try to figure out how to program that streaming remote online, for a legacy IR device. He was so frustrated because he can't FF/RW.Pause on the remote or even pause live TV. I said, get a truck roll by saying that you can't pause fast forward or rewind on your DVR and have the tech bring you a traditional DVR box and remote. He is considering doing this. He hates the XUMO. He might takes his DCX 3400 box back to the store, and get a World Box. and a World Box Renote.

4.) There is no last channel recall button on the XUMO. A button that my family and millions of customers use all the time. You have to keep flip flopping between the guide and the app, and On Demand on an XUMO, instead of simply pushing one button.

5.) Customers are still having issues with an auto shutoff on the Xumo after 4 hours of activity. This feature can be easily disabled on a traditional set top box or DVR.

6) Xumo often locks up and the only way to solve that is by unplugging it. Reset functions often do not work.

7.) I encourage all customers who hate the Xumo to swap out their boxes for regular set tops or DVR's. Menu naviations are easier. remote is easier to use. the traditional boxes are more reliable.

8.) New customers must request a traditional cable box or DVR when ordering cable TV for the first time. Tell sales that you don't want the XUMO, unless you are really tech savvy and are familiar with streaming remotes and devices.

Satch

Answers

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 534 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Good evening @Terry_McCann

Thank you for your feedback about our Xumo box. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know your experience with that option. We take our clients feedback seriously and we are always looking for ways to improve upon our offerings. If you have any additional recommendations please let us know. I will forward the suggestions you provided above for consideration. -Lyn

• Terry_McCann

Satch: Thanks for the fantastic information and technical insight. I agree with your stance of staying with the STB as long as it remains an option.

I'd never heard of the World Box until your post. Is this something that is only available in certain areas? I'm in Madison County in Illinois just a few miles east of St. Louis.

Terry

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,594 Contributor

Satch: Thanks for the fantastic information and technical insight. I agree with your stance of staying with the STB as long as it remains an option.

I'd never heard of the World Box until your post. Is this something that is only available in certain areas? I'm in Madison County in Illinois just a few miles east of St. Louis.

Hi Terry,

The World Box is Spectrum's latest traditional cable box offering. You should ask for a World Box DVR and sign up for traditional DVR service. (You can't have Cloud DVR and traditional DVR on the same account.) You get four tuners and 1TB of recording space. The guide is very modern and cloud-based, and fast. If you have an XUMO return it, cancel cloud DVR, and get the Spectrum World Box DVR. The World Box is distinguished by not having a clock on the front panel.

You will have once again a traditional DVR navigating experience with the ability to pause live TV again and navigate much easier. When you get the box, you will need to turn off the power saver modes in settings (Two features to set to off.)

One thing about World Box. Make sure you allow for plenty of ventilation on all sides and don't put anything on top of it or block the vents. They run warmer than the older models.

Satch

• Terry_McCann

Satch: Again, thanks for the info. FYI, I do have a traditional DVR and Cloud DVR. I was told when I returned the Xumo after my trial period that as long as I maintained my DVR service for no additional charge.

Terry

• Webb1
    Webb1 Posts: 1 Newcomer

The Xumo box is terrible.

I have 2, one works as it should, the other keeps disconnecting from my Samsung TV when I power on. I have to reselect the input & get stalled on the hello screen. Hate this box

What an antique:

Finding channels is a pain.
    Guide descriptions don’t show new

DVR can’t watch a recorded program until the recording is complete

Can’t set DVR series recording to only store one episode.

Will be returning mine. I was so close to cutting the cord & going with Hulu or YouTube TV. Still may make the leap. So tired of ridiculously high prices and sub-par service.