You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Why is the El Rey Network Gone?

kdl770
kdl770 Posts: 1 Newcomer

What happened to the El Rey Network? Why was it dropped from line up? Do we not even get the courtesy of some kind of notice that it will be dropped so that we can respond? Bring it back!

Comments

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 644 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hello citygirl,

We are not provided specifics when a channel is removed from the lineup, but generally it is an issue where a new contract could not be renegotiated with the owners of the network/broadcast group.

• Klartag
    Klartag Posts: 1 Newcomer

Definitely time to move on.

• BarbB
    BarbB Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited September 2020

This is pretty sad - i am in agreement with citygirl and kdl770 - i don't want any more "junk channels", El Ray has good entertainment and good informational information on the directors. They offered a bit of out of the norm, which in this day an age of television it a welcome change

In addition - i looked at the bill and it states - this is not El Ray and this is not my channel:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHANNEL LINEUP: On August 31st, 2020, Fusion will no longer be available on your Spectrum TV Lineup on Digi Tier 1, Preferred TV Channel 144. For a current channel lineup, visit www.Spectrum.com/channels. You may downgrade or

• BnG
    BnG Posts: 1 Newcomer

Is the contract still being negotiated? Is there a chance El Rey will turn to the lineup in the immediate future?

• BRING THE EL REY NETWORK BACK!!!

• arnezg2335
    arnezg2335 Posts: 1 Newcomer

BRING THE EL REY NETWORK BACK NOW!!!

• David64
    David64 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same 'ol same ‘ol for Spectrum: They remove content while keeping the price the same, in order to increase their profits. Who can be surprised by this?

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor

What I heard through sources was that viewership was too low for Spectrum to keep El Rey. It is probably like @Julia_R said, El Rey wanted too much money and would not negotiate a reasonable price to keep it on the line up so they had to remove the network.

Remember that ALL TV VENDORS MUST PAY The STATION OWNERS FOR THE RIGHTS TO CARRY THEIR CONTENT.. Spectrum, Comcast, Altice, Dish Network, Direct TV, U-Verse. Streaming services as well like Netflix apply as well. They even have to pay residuals for over the air stations.

Retransmission consent happens about ever five years. 95% of the time new agreements and package placements are made with efforts to keep costs reasonable, but at the same time there is inflation because the program providers insist on more money for their content. Sports Channels are the most expensive part of any CATV and Sports Programs are the reasons for most of the cost increases. But some stations like ESPN, ESPN2, and NFL Network, insist on their programing being placed on the lowest tiers, which probably makes up about $40 of your CATV subscription.

Yes, it sucks that CATV rates continue to rise, but what you are paying per month is very small compared to the amount that the providers have to pay to carry those channels. Think of what it would cost to take the family to a sporting event every week for a month, add two movies a week every month, plus top seats, gas, consessions, and tickets. I guarantee that you would be paying a lot more to see those events and shows monthly going to them live than playing any TV provider's monthly TV fee.

Satch

• rogue
    rogue Posts: 3 Spectator

What annoys me is that:

It was still listed on their channel guide for days after 8/31. It is removed now.

That one can still watch live thru the SpectrumTV mobile app.

That one can still see on demand programming for El Rey on your cable box. (at least I could on Thursday).

That it is not listed on the Spectrum Programming Notices page for Wisconsin.

That the program guide on the cable box doesn't say anything about it being removed.

The only place to see it is on your bill and if you get an online bill and pay automatically, you won't even know about it. An e-mail titled "Spectrum - Channel Lineup Change" would have been great.

Overall, it was poorly handled by Spectrum. When I called Spectrum about it even the CS rep had difficulty determining what happened.

It did not help that El Rey was in "no man's land" on the cable box for English speakers. It might have fared better if it were closer to TNT/USA/Paramount (lower 200s), but instead it was grouped with a number of foreign language stations.

• draeke88
    draeke88 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited September 2020

I was pissed when they stopped showing 19-2, so let's get it on, bring back El Rey network. And seriously NO notice, I really mean nothing, and when I tried to select El Rey, it just had this sad programming no longer offered bs, get it together Spectrum, you make Billions off us a year and you can't include a decent channel or two with all your fluff, HOW ABOUT THE OUTDOOR CHANNEL for instance, an extra $5/bux a month for one channel, when you put out 250 channels, I don't watch already, I mean seriously what are we paying for here. I'll put it out there, I probably watch less than 20 channels period, and you want to gorge you corporate profits for bs. I might be looking at another option in the near future, fiber is right around the corner, and we don't need you freaking backward monoliths anymore, prepare to experience customer's choice

• MichaelHayden
    MichaelHayden Posts: 1 Newcomer

They obviously want to push more customers to “cut the cord”, I have held out from dropping cable because of live sports and channels like El Rey, but to pay the ridiculous fees for hundreds of channels I’ll never watch while losing a channel I truly enjoyed is becoming untenable. Good luck with joining Blockbuster in the graveyard of companies refusing to evolve with the times. Your demographics are aging rapidly and dying off, you might want to reconsider your entire business strategy before you are rendered moot permanently.

• rogue
    rogue Posts: 3 Spectator

A major factor is the massive costs of carrying live sports and the way the content providers bundle their networks. The problem is that content providers have been merging (look at Disney). You cannot get a package of channels with History and A&E without also getting ESPN. I believe that ESPN costs the most (by far) due to the massive contracts it has with the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. Content providers also want their networks in the "base package" from your cable company. They give Spectrum a discount because it is in the base package. This is what happened with the NFL network a few years ago. Even the streaming providers costs have also skyrocketed in the past few years for the same reasons that Spectrum's costs have.

• Nomad
    Nomad Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited September 2020

This really sucks rocks. There are just too many junk channels that I have no use for, too many sports channels I have absolutely no interest in, too many news channels I abhor even seeing, all of which I pay a lot of money for. But Spectrum just loves removing the channels I actually do watch.

Is Spectrum management even hearing about feedback like this? Or are we all just speaking to a big useless wall, apparently like most other "community forums"?

Is it now possible to get internet service without cable TV? I am asking because it just might finally be the time to cut the cable cord.

• tt_boy_80
    tt_boy_80 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Please bring back El Rey Network. It would be nice to have the option of choosing my own channel line up. Having internet and television services thru spectrum is basically a economy car payment every month as a loyal customer I would like the El Rey network back and the option to choose my channel line up.

• Satch

@Nomad

Good evening. Yes, in answer to your question you can get Spectrum Internet without cable TV. You should contact Spectrum Customer Care to arrange for the service change. Hopefully, you will be able to find a plan that is more economical for your needs.

Satch

• tek360
    tek360 Posts: 21 Contributor

No matter what you say I never received any notice of this channel going away. No email. No letter. Nothing. I don't understand how you think everyone got a notice of some sort. I went today to watch a show and that's how I found out El Rey was no longer available.

That being said, what are you going to replace it with as I see you also got rid of Fusion. We should be getting something good in return.

• Gangsteroflove7
    Gangsteroflove7 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am in agreement with all. WTF?!?! I get my bill electronically so did not have the opportunity to receive any advanced notice from Spectrum that one of my favorite channels was being removed. This previously happened with another great new channel I discovered in the past few years --- Decades. Decades is still listed in my Spectrum-based TV Guide, yet our local Spectrum dropped the channel for no good reason. They need to focus on viewer feedback when 'negotiating' contracts with stations that may be on the bubble. We have a lot of trash stations I never watch while great, socially relevant channels like El Rey are gone. Let alone the fact that it is a Latino-run Network!!!

• ItsMarco
    ItsMarco Posts: 1 Newcomer

El Rey Network, besides it's original programming, was the only network that provided me with the classic martial art films, of which I have always been a huge fan. It is awful that this network is no longer available! Please bring it back ASAP!

• JOEANDJOE
    JOEANDJOE Posts: 1 Newcomer

It is very disappointing to find out that El Rey network is no longer being offered. Great network with a great variety of programming, including their programming of martial arts movies. Hopefully Spectrum will be able to work out a deal to bring it back.

• kzdrago
    kzdrago Posts: 1 Newcomer

BRING THE EL REY NETWORK BACK NOW!!!

• Satch
    edited September 2020

Here is El Ray's website:

Maybe if enough people contact El Ray about Spectrum removing the channel, Spectrum will bring it back.

Satch

• Stickemup
    Stickemup Posts: 1 Newcomer

I was ready to leave you guys after 20 years with my $240 monthly bill that I can get cheaper from another company for half this amount. This gives me the final reason to make my move!! Thanks for the help!

• IamMe
    IamMe Posts: 1 Newcomer

Bring back EL REY!!!!!

• I can't believe this.. El Rey is the only channel my husband watched and now it's gone ? Why do you keep charging more but taking away the channels that are actually entertaining? The only reason we haven't cut the cord is because you offered the El Rey Network. Guess it's now time to consider other options. Sadly you don't seem to understand this is a big reason why so many have "cut the cord".

• MichaelC64
    MichaelC64 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I don’t care why, BRING BACK EL REY!

• Tbond1007
    Tbond1007 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I Was no notified found out today trying log in to the channel only to see a message saying it's no longer being offered . Please Bring El Ray Back! Its one of the few channels i actually watch. It always seems like the channels people like to most get cancelled without any regard to the customers....not good at all.

• Steph_S
    Steph_S Posts: 515 Spectrum Employee

Good Morning @Tbond1007,

I am sorry for the frustration regarding the removal of the El Rey network.

Notification of the removal of the El Rey network was provided via your billing statement messages in the beginning of July, 2020. We will notify customers at least 30 days in advance of any price or service/programming change. Notice of these changes may be provided in your monthly bill, as a bill insert, or as a separate mailer. You can also find programming notices in the legal notice section of newspapers or on the cable system channels. You can always review Spectrum Programming Notices

Thank you,

Stephanie S

This discussion has been closed.