You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Spectrum TV app with Roku goes black random times while watching - RESOLVED

Options
13»

Answers

• MVM
    MVM Posts: 14 Participant
    edited December 2023
    Options

I know, we bought a new Roku for $25, new TV and soundbar for $1,000, and new wifi pucks for $300. Our equipment was a few years old but still worked fine with everything else, UGH!!!!!!

• Hoco
    Hoco Posts: 3 Spectator
    Options

Mine is doing the same thing. It looks like more people are reporting the issue. You would think it would be figured out by now. Mine started a couple of weeks ago. Super annoying!

• Hoco
    Hoco Posts: 3 Spectator
    Options

The back button takes you back to the channel but the issue still there. Mine was doing it about every 4 hours. Today it was within 2 hours. Hope that update is soon.

• MVM
    Options

Interesting that you have all Spectrum equipment. They told me it was my equipment that was the problem. Can’t say that to you…….good reference point.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,762 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited December 2023
    Options

Reposting yesterdays update. The app team is aware of this issue, has investigated and is finalizing an update that will resolve this issue. I will add a new post when the update is available.

Thanks for your patience.

• MVM
    Options

Hey, Can you please give us some background on this, did it effect everyone using the app or only specific equipment? Thanks MM

• James_M
    Options

@MVM

Unfortunately, there is no additional information available at this time.

• MMiller12
    MMiller12 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited December 2023
    Options

I am having this same issue on Roku using the spectrum app and in addition, every show recorded using my spectrum cloud dvr service randomly freezes or goes black while in the middle of playback. Occasionally it will buffer with no result until I hit the back arrow, but mostly it just freezes or goes black. Hitting the arrow does not work to resolve and fast forward and rewind are not functioning once it freezes. Quiting the app and returning to Home Screen, restarting the app and restarting playback of the same show also does not fix. It will still freeze at same time stamp once this initially happens. I tried to outsmart it and fast forward quickly once it restarts and before it freezes at the initial timestamp and it will playback a few seconds and freeze at a new timestamp. Removing app, rebooting Roku and reinstalling app is also not a fix. Rebooting modem, not a fix. I have a google mesh system because I was told my spectrum equipment was my issue in the past for service interruptions. paid $400 for my own equipment, this is definitely a spectrum app issue.. No other issues on other streaming services. I can watch the same show through spectrum on demand without the issue but prefer to watch my recording for fast forward capabilities, which also indicates it’s not a router issue. Upsetting that I pay for this service and it’s not working properly. This issue started this week for me and happens on both my televisions with Roku devices.

• JimInSATx
    JimInSATx Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Have same problem on three Roku's in my house. As mentioned, hitting Right-arrow and going to the Guide will restore the channel. But, if you're in the kitchen with your hands full that doesn't help much during a critical sports play or event..!?

• JimInSATx
    JimInSATx Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

PS- to previous comment.... I don't use a Spectrum wifi router. I use an ASUS wifi-router; that works fine. If the Spectrum app cuts out on my Roku; I'm STILL able to use my laptop totally uninterrupted.

• Starczar
    Starczar Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Same black screen problem with my Roku. Happens randomly and started recently. In the last two months I have submitted 2 tickets for other Spectrum app issues on watching the app on my iPad. They finally resolved the issue, but for quite some time the default position was to reinstall the app, which I did frequently to no avail. They finally took it seriously after several calls and generated a ticket. This has to be one of the worst streaming apps.

• MVM
    Options

Just crashed again. 8:09pm. Weird same time am and pm…

• knowhow55
    knowhow55 Posts: 4 Spectator
    Options

Is this happening on the Spectrum App to get us to purchase Spectrum's new XUMO streaming box?

• rwomel4
    rwomel4 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I want to register the same Roku Spectrum App black screen issue. Mine happens at 6:08 AMPM central time, You can set your clock by it.

• James_M
    edited December 2023
    Options

Reposting Thursday's update to keep it focused and easier to find for new members. 

The app team is aware of this issue, has investigated and is finalizing an update that will resolve this issue.

I will add a new post when the update is available.

Thanks for your patience.

• James_M
    Options

Update 12/12/23

All,

I have confirmed with the developers that the Spectrum TV App for ROKU has been updated to version 11.3 on 12/11/23. This update includes a fix to resolve the random black / blank screen issue.

Updates are usually automatic, to check your current app version, go to the Roku home screen, highlight the Spectrum app and press the asterisk (*) button. If your device has not been updated, select "Check for Updates".

If you are still experiencing an issue with your device, please start a new post. If this solved your issue, please select the "like" button below.

Thanks!

• MVM
    Options

Thanks!!!

• James_M
    Options

@gcorreia56

Glad to hear it is working as expected again. Thanks for the update!

This discussion has been closed.