Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Cloud DVR Playback Issues (recordings are freezing) - UPDATED 4/18/24 with a message from Spectrum

Comments

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,292 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @PitbullJoe, welcome to our community!

Could you try recording a few more things to see if it was just that one episode? Could you also check to see if you can view that episode from the Spectrum TV app on another device, or at watch.spectrum.net on a computer?

• askdrten
    askdrten Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited April 7

I'm having the same issues too with multiple computers, same exact error code. But if played on Roku TV Spectrum App, it's ok. Please fix this issue on PC with Windows 11. Chrome, Edge, FireFox, all the same error code. It has to be a server issue at Spectrum. Why can't you guys find a technical way to identify we are legit and just let us play the video? Or remove the "not working" security check until you resolve and verify the issue?

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,292 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Hi @askdrten, and you as well @HJH sorry I missed you.

There is a known issue causing intermittent cDVR issues between 7PM and 8AM, it does not sound like the problem you all are having. Just because there is a known issue with the service, that doesn't mean there can't still be other individual problems that could be fixed with troubleshooting, or other issues impacting multiple people we just haven't detected yet and need to troubleshoot to gather the necessary data to report it to our engineers.

Are you having any issues watching Live TV on your computer? Do you have a VPN, anti-virus, or any other software on your computer which might affect the internet connection which you can pause? Have you adjusted any router settings such as the DNS server?

• dja2k
    dja2k Posts: 3 Spectator

Ever since a week or so where Spectrum adviced there was a spectrun cloud dvr maitanance scheduled it has screwed everything up. On Samsung TV Spectrum App watching Cloud DVR shows gives the random error strp-4004. I already contacted Spectrum directly and they just troubleshoot and say that it's my Spectrun internet or TV App. It only happens on Cloud DVR not on live TV on Spectrum App. I am a computer technician and I believe this is a Spectrum Server error nothing on my end. Cloud DVR recordings are played of a server and it seems it tines out on playback. I tried to tell Spectrum this but they won't admit it's their problem. There are tons of related posts on Reddit as well.

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 563 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Good evening @dja2k

Thank you for reaching out to us about our Cloud DVR services. I am sorry that you are experiencing this concern. I am not sure what troubleshooting you have already completed. Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the App? Also, have you tried to use the Cloud DVR outside of your home? If so, are you receiving the same error message? -Lyn

• dja2k
    dja2k Posts: 3 Spectator

Yes I've done all that troubleshooting. The problem is random, so it happens when it wants too. The prior rep said they had heard of problems with Samsung TV but I did all the uninstall / reinstall procedure with no difference. Also another note, I see this happen more on my local channel cloud DVR recordings like CBS and NBC. All these problems have gotten worse since that Cloud DVR maitanance message I got some days back.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 5,087 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

Thanks. There is a known issue with CloudDVR (cDVR) and engineers are working a on a fix. Unfortunately, there is currently not an ETA when it will be resolved. We appreciate your patience and will provide an update once one is available.

• Rycal
    Rycal Posts: 1 Newcomer

I recently switched to cloud DVR. I have called support. They imply that there is something wrong on my end. I WILL NOT REBOOT AGAIN! The playback function is awful. In 2024 with so much technology, why can't Spectrum figure it out? I have used FUBO and YouTube TV. Their playback functions work well. Spectrum needs to take note. I am certain that Spectrum will lose customers as a result of this issue.

• berniez1
    berniez1 Posts: 7 Participant

The Cloud dvr needs to be fixed. WE have the same problem as listed here at our home. Stutters, stalls, etc. If this does not get fixed soon, I will keep just Spectrum internet and go elsewhere for my video.

• James_M
    Answer ✓

Hi & welcome!

Our engineers are aware of the issues you are describing and are working to resolve the issue. If we can ever help you with other questions about your service, let us know.

• elad
    elad Posts: 1 Newcomer

same problem 2 xumo boxes same issue with both losing audio, getting the 3 dots, also getting some message and program will not play. Tried the spectrum app on samsung tablet it seemed to play cloud with no issues.

• selwynator
    selwynator Posts: 12 Participant
    edited April 10

Why isn’t Spectrum answering a simple question? We just need to know if it’s being worked on and provide an estimate for the rollout of the fix.

• jgcoco
    jgcoco Posts: 1 Newcomer

I agree with comments and no matter what you do the same thing keeps happening. Frozen playback from cloud recordings, error message unable to complete request… just a bunch of mess to be paying for. It’s a spectrum issue and not a customer issue.

• RJK2
    RJK2 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Having all of the same issues listed above. It’s awful!! I never wanted this cloud dvr nonsense as I figured it would be a nightmare. I’ve tried all the fixes. Nothing works. The service isn’t cheap. They need to resolve this or we’ll be canceling our account as well.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

To add my thoughts. This is for people having trouble with Cloud DVR,

If the product, in this case Cloud DVR, has been a terrible experience for you, and you constantly have to reboot, having freezing pictures, unreliable recordings, I submit that you really are not saving money if the experience is bringing you headaches and frustration. You might pay less, but is it worth paying less if the quality of cloud DVR is sub-standard?

This is why others and myself who have subscribed to cable for decades, encourage those to switch from Cloud DVR, (or XUMO) if they are having similar problems to switch to a regular DVR box. The regular DVR boxes are much more reliable, have full DVR functionality, and work better than the cloud DVR/streaming options. Yes, you are paying more, but you are getting a more quality product.

Satch

• Alipman
    Alipman Posts: 2 Spectator

I'm having the same issue on and off for the past month. I called Spectrum several times. They always say that they're working on it. I'm cancelling and switching to Hulu or YouTube TV

• Shredder64
    Shredder64 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Spectrum, we need an immediate fix to what appears to be an issue on your hardware. We are paying for this service. It is getting very frustrating. Image goes blurry, stops, thee dots... Live tv has none of these issues. Please acknowledge that the cloud DVR needs a fix and we need refund. I just invested into five xumo boxes, because I was told it was great. Help.....

• BMWTAXI
    BMWTAXI Posts: 1 Newcomer

I’ve been having the same issues for several months. Same answers, reboot everything, from Spectrum support. Nothings works! They obviously don’t care! Funny how this discussion string shows it’s been answered. Clearly there is no answer!

• mullimoon
    mullimoon Posts: 5 Spectator
    edited April 17

I just started getting this. Had never had any playback issues before. Tried to play a recorded show, and got the XSTRP-4001 code, and it keeps saying try back later. Tried my Spectrum TV app, and got an XCD-1005 error code. Did a chat on Spectrum last night, and they wanted to do a system signal refresh, but my Mom (who lives with us) was on the phone, with the TV on in the background. I did a modem reboot, and a xumo box reset this morning. Getting the same.

• James_M

Hi & welcome!

There is a known issue impacted CloudDVR recordings. Does the issue occur only on Xumo, or does it happen when you watch on other devices?

• mullimoon

XUMO, and my Spectrum TV app

• James_M

Can you test it on another device, maybe a smartphone, tablet or laptop and let us know if the issue still occurs?

• mullimoon

I used my smart phone to check the Spectrum TV app, and got an ICD-1005 code. I had a Spectrum Tech do a signal refresh this morning. I am currently sitting at work. I will qc it this evening.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

Good Afternoon All,

Here are some points to post that might get your problem fixed or better understood, Saying "I hate Spectrum" or threatening to leave does not address the problem, Spectrum needs specifics for data collection and to see what areas are affected by the problem. To help steer the content in a more helpful direction here are some guiding questions:

1.) What is your city, state, and zip code?

2.) When did the problem(s) first appear?

3.) What are the specific issues? (Examples? Loss of audio? Loss of video? Pixilation? Freezing?

4.) What devices are you using to receive cloud DVR service?

5.) If you reboot your devices? Does that stop the issues? If not, how long before the problems reoccur?

6.) Do the problems appear worse in the morning? afternoon? or evening? or can they occur at anytime? Are some channels affected more than others? Which ones?

7.) Have you had your signals and lines checked if you are having problems? If you had a tech onsite, what did he/she say about the Cloud DVR service?

8.) Any changes to your services before the problems began? What were those changes?

9.) How old is your modem/router? (Approximately?) Do you rent or own your Internet equipment?

10.) Are you up-to-date with your latest operating system updates? What browsers or equipment do you use when you use Cloud DVR services?

These answers can help with data collection and diagnosis.

Satch

• James_M
    edited April 12

@Satch & everyone else -

We appreciate the effort, but we do not need additional examples for data collection and diagnosis.

This is a known intermittent issue with Cloud DVR recordings. There is no ETR at this time, but it is being investigated and hopefully resolved soon. I also merged individual posts so the majority of posts are in one thread.

We appreciate everyone's patience - thank you!

• mullimoon

Just got home. The signal refresh did not work. Still same error code. Spectrum TV app gives a DCD 1002 code. So, unable to do my dvr playback.

• sbs8331
    sbs8331 Posts: 3 Spectator

This has been an issue with me as well and seems to occur when recording and playing simultaneously. For example, I recorded FBI the other night @ 8PM because I wasn't available to watch then. When I tried to watch it via cloud DVR starting at 8:15 it froze so much as to be unwatchable. I'm normally able to watch after the recording has completed. The same thing tonight as I was recording Fox News Special Report at 6 PM and started watching the recording at 6:10, but got frozen out. Yes, I've tried all the reboot processes to no avail. Any progress on analyzing this issue? Thanks.

• James_M

Thanks.

This is a known intermittent issue with Cloud DVR recordings. Our engineers are aware of this issue and working on a fix. Unfortunately, there is not an ETA available, but they are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

This discussion has been closed.