Cloud DVR Playback Issues (recordings are freezing) - UPDATED 4/18/24 with a message from Spectrum

Options
selwynator
selwynator Posts: 11 Participant
edited April 19 in Cloud DVR

Recently switched from Spectrum box dvr to cloud dvr. I’m using roku to connect to the Spectrum app. Seeking to resolve two quirks:

1) On playback of some recorded dvr shows, the show will freeze. Sometimes it will freeze 5-6 times on playback. Only happens on Spectrum app, not others. Verified internet speed is 500Mbs. Anyone else experiencing this and found the cause?

2) Also, why is that Spectrum doesn’t show video frames when fast forwarding through a recorded show? How are we supposed to know when to stop fast forwarding if you can’t see where you are? Is Spectrum working on an update to correct this?

Comments

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 393 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good evening @selwynator and Welcome to our Community Forums

Thank you for reaching out to us about your streaming services. I am sorry you have noticed this concern. I recommend that you attempt to reset all the internet equipment. This can be done by unplugging the cable line, power line, and removing the battery backup if you have one for both the modem and the router for a solid 3-5 minutes. Are you able to try this and let us know? The video frames when fast forwarding or rewinding with the Cloud DVR is not available at this time. -Lyn

• Susanb
    Susanb Posts: 3 Spectator
    Options

We are having the same issue. Have to reboot everything and many times it still doesn't fix the problem. Half the time we can't finish watching a show we started. We had our own modem that was older, so got a new one from Spectrum to see if that helped. This is just not a good system. Totally agree about fast forwarding too. Why isn't Spectrum working on this???

• selwynator
    edited February 24
    Options

@spectrum (Lyn_T): I tried everything you suggested above and it did NOT help. Appears this technology was released without adequate testing. Okay, mistakes happen. Just fix it now so customers can have a better experience.

• selwynator
    edited February 24
    Options

Exhausting all troubleshooting scenarios I could do, I called Spectrum “technical support”. Zero help was provided, except for rebooting everything (usual response). Of course, it did not help.

• blpenna
    blpenna Posts: 1 Spectator
    edited April 2
    Options

I've called several times on the Spectrum App for DVR Cloud! I had technician come out to tell me they had to put in a ticket for the App dept to see what was wrong. The recordings freeze up, cut off last 10 min of the shows. I have to fight to get shows to play because it boot off and I get the 3 dots like it's thinking. Then kicks off with an error code. I call and am told to jump through hoops of rebooting modem, rebooting system, delete app and reinstall. It's not working! So Spectrum tell truths! Does your Spectrum App DVR "Cloud" work?

• Ruben_R
    Ruben_R Posts: 84 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

I am sorry for the service issues that you're experiencing. I'm checking for any issues reported on the Cloud DVR and I'm not seeing any reports on issues. Is this happening on all the devices or just on 1 of them?

• Chap5971
    Chap5971 Posts: 2 Spectator
    edited March 11
    Options

recorded shows keep freezing up when played from Cloud DVR. What is happening?

• Phil_B
    Phil_B Posts: 297 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello-- This is a known intermittent issue with Cloud DVR recordings. No ETR at this time, but it is being investigated and hopefully resolved soon. We appreciate your patience-- thank you!

• Rich76
    Rich76 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I am having the same exact issue. Would it be possible to provide an update to when this is finally resolved. I plan on monitoring this thread. Since at least I now know I am not the only one. Sad because it was working great until this started to happen.

• Timothy46
    Timothy46 Posts: 11 Participant
    Options

Happening to me too. The spectrum app completely crashes daily.

• kcw1996
    kcw1996 Posts: 2 Spectator
    edited April 7
    Options

I am unable to watch any shows recorded on my cloud dvr. I am using a fully updated Windows 11 PC and connect to the internet via my home network in my home. Have tried using Chrome and Edge browsers

I always get error Reference Code: WUP-4003.

I am able to watch the recorded shows on my phone and tv (using AppleTV)

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,097 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Hi @kcw1996, welcome to our community!

There is a known issue with cDVR causing intermittent functionality. No ETR at this time, but we hope it will be resolved soon. We appreciate your patience.

• kcw1996
    kcw1996 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

It’s been over a year. It can’t be an intermittent issue

• William_M
    Options

Sorry about that, if you've been having issues that long it's probably something else but at there is currently an issue with the app which will likely complicate any troubleshooting efforts until resolved, but we can certainly get started.

Are you having any issues watching Live TV on your computer? Do you have a VPN, anti-virus, or any other software on your computer which might affect the internet connection which you can pause?

• cinsob
    cinsob Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I also am having zero luck successfully watching shows on the cloud DVR. Tech came out and could not get it to work either, suggested I go back to a old style DVR box. So frustrating.

• ltcolumbo0
    ltcolumbo0 Posts: 10 Participant
    Options

I feel your pain as Spectrum Support is no help, even failing to contact you after committing to level 2 support. It feels like Spectrum does not care to address bugs in their Cloud DVR, nor are they interested in enhancing features that would put it more on par with other cloud DVR platforms like YouTube TV. Because of this, I do not plan to stay with them much longer.

• Heatherm
    Heatherm Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited February 29
    Options

this is the worst cloud dvr. I have experienced instability (excessive buffering, sometimes going to black and never coming back, stuttering) in playing back recordings that are actively recording. No issues streaming live TV or playing back recordings that have finished. This happens on Roku and Apple TV .

This is ridiculous when I pay extra for this. Can you have the developers actually fix this problem instead of customer service reading me fixes that don’t work like unplug everything, uninstall the app etc?

I want a credit on my bill until this is resolved

• RhodesCD
    RhodesCD Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited February 29
    Options

We just also switched to spectrum cloud DVR and we are having the same issues. the power resets did not help a bit. I called spectrum and they said this is a known problem and they are working on it.

• Dadaven
    Dadaven Posts: 7 Participant
    Options

I can't get thru a recorded ballgame or movie on either my tv or ipad without buffering/stopping/restarting on the ipad or stoppage with three dots or error message that my program is not available on tv. I have reset both the modem and router but the problem continues. Very unreliable and frustrating.

• William_M
    Options

Hi @Dadaven, welcome to our community!

Are you having any problems watching Live TV, or is it only an issue with recorded content? Have you run a speed test to make sure your internet connection is fast?

• Dadaven
    Options

Playing recordings is the problem. Just tested Internet speed on Spectrum site and it was 236, not the 500 of our plan.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,729 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

@Dadaven

Does the issue still happen if you try viewing the recording on a different device?

• Dadaven
    Options

Yes, on both tv and ipad

• James_M
    Options

Thanks. There was a known issue with Cloud DVR and the issue has been resolved. Please try testing with a new recording and let us know if the issue continues.

• DCB55
    DCB55 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

The issue still remains

• Dadaven
    Options

Yes, still a problem here.

• Philip4868
    Philip4868 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I have the problem as well. Been worse this past week.. GMA recorded this AM continually errors STRP-4004.

• James_M
    edited March 5
    Options

@Dadaven

Thanks.

Please delete the app, restart the device and reinstall the app, then try testing a recording again and let us know if the issue continues.