Cloud DVR Playback Issues (recordings are freezing) - UPDATED 4/18/24 with a message from Spectrum

Options

Comments

• Rycal
    Rycal Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I recently switched to cloud DVR. I have called support. They imply that there is something wrong on my end. I WILL NOT REBOOT AGAIN! The playback function is awful. In 2024 with so much technology, why can't Spectrum figure it out? I have used FUBO and YouTube TV. Their playback functions work well. Spectrum needs to take note. I am certain that Spectrum will lose customers as a result of this issue.

• berniez1
    berniez1 Posts: 7 Participant
    Options

The Cloud dvr needs to be fixed. WE have the same problem as listed here at our home. Stutters, stalls, etc. If this does not get fixed soon, I will keep just Spectrum internet and go elsewhere for my video.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,729 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi & welcome!

Our engineers are aware of the issues you are describing and are working to resolve the issue. If we can ever help you with other questions about your service, let us know.

• elad
    elad Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

same problem 2 xumo boxes same issue with both losing audio, getting the 3 dots, also getting some message and program will not play. Tried the spectrum app on samsung tablet it seemed to play cloud with no issues.

• selwynator
    selwynator Posts: 11 Participant
    edited April 10
    Options

Why isn’t Spectrum answering a simple question? We just need to know if it’s being worked on and provide an estimate for the rollout of the fix.

• jgcoco
    jgcoco Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I agree with comments and no matter what you do the same thing keeps happening. Frozen playback from cloud recordings, error message unable to complete request… just a bunch of mess to be paying for. It’s a spectrum issue and not a customer issue.

• RJK2
    RJK2 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Having all of the same issues listed above. It’s awful!! I never wanted this cloud dvr nonsense as I figured it would be a nightmare. I’ve tried all the fixes. Nothing works. The service isn’t cheap. They need to resolve this or we’ll be canceling our account as well.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,320 Contributor
    Options

To add my thoughts. This is for people having trouble with Cloud DVR,

If the product, in this case Cloud DVR, has been a terrible experience for you, and you constantly have to reboot, having freezing pictures, unreliable recordings, I submit that you really are not saving money if the experience is bringing you headaches and frustration. You might pay less, but is it worth paying less if the quality of cloud DVR is sub-standard?

This is why others and myself who have subscribed to cable for decades, encourage those to switch from Cloud DVR, (or XUMO) if they are having similar problems to switch to a regular DVR box. The regular DVR boxes are much more reliable, have full DVR functionality, and work better than the cloud DVR/streaming options. Yes, you are paying more, but you are getting a more quality product.

Satch

• Alipman
    Alipman Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

I'm having the same issue on and off for the past month. I called Spectrum several times. They always say that they're working on it. I'm cancelling and switching to Hulu or YouTube TV

• Shredder64
    Shredder64 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Spectrum, we need an immediate fix to what appears to be an issue on your hardware. We are paying for this service. It is getting very frustrating. Image goes blurry, stops, thee dots... Live tv has none of these issues. Please acknowledge that the cloud DVR needs a fix and we need refund. I just invested into five xumo boxes, because I was told it was great. Help.....

• BMWTAXI
    BMWTAXI Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I’ve been having the same issues for several months. Same answers, reboot everything, from Spectrum support. Nothings works! They obviously don’t care! Funny how this discussion string shows it’s been answered. Clearly there is no answer!

• mullimoon
    mullimoon Posts: 5 Spectator
    edited April 17
    Options

I just started getting this. Had never had any playback issues before. Tried to play a recorded show, and got the XSTRP-4001 code, and it keeps saying try back later. Tried my Spectrum TV app, and got an XCD-1005 error code. Did a chat on Spectrum last night, and they wanted to do a system signal refresh, but my Mom (who lives with us) was on the phone, with the TV on in the background. I did a modem reboot, and a xumo box reset this morning. Getting the same.

• James_M
    Options

Hi & welcome!

There is a known issue impacted CloudDVR recordings. Does the issue occur only on Xumo, or does it happen when you watch on other devices?

• mullimoon
    Options

XUMO, and my Spectrum TV app

• James_M
    Options

Can you test it on another device, maybe a smartphone, tablet or laptop and let us know if the issue still occurs?

• mullimoon
    Options

I used my smart phone to check the Spectrum TV app, and got an ICD-1005 code. I had a Spectrum Tech do a signal refresh this morning. I am currently sitting at work. I will qc it this evening.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,320 Contributor
    Options

Good Afternoon All,

Here are some points to post that might get your problem fixed or better understood, Saying "I hate Spectrum" or threatening to leave does not address the problem, Spectrum needs specifics for data collection and to see what areas are affected by the problem. To help steer the content in a more helpful direction here are some guiding questions:

1.) What is your city, state, and zip code?

2.) When did the problem(s) first appear?

3.) What are the specific issues? (Examples? Loss of audio? Loss of video? Pixilation? Freezing?

4.) What devices are you using to receive cloud DVR service?

5.) If you reboot your devices? Does that stop the issues? If not, how long before the problems reoccur?

6.) Do the problems appear worse in the morning? afternoon? or evening? or can they occur at anytime? Are some channels affected more than others? Which ones?

7.) Have you had your signals and lines checked if you are having problems? If you had a tech onsite, what did he/she say about the Cloud DVR service?

8.) Any changes to your services before the problems began? What were those changes?

9.) How old is your modem/router? (Approximately?) Do you rent or own your Internet equipment?

10.) Are you up-to-date with your latest operating system updates? What browsers or equipment do you use when you use Cloud DVR services?

These answers can help with data collection and diagnosis.

Satch

• James_M
    edited April 12
    Options

@Satch & everyone else -

We appreciate the effort, but we do not need additional examples for data collection and diagnosis.

This is a known intermittent issue with Cloud DVR recordings. There is no ETR at this time, but it is being investigated and hopefully resolved soon. I also merged individual posts so the majority of posts are in one thread.

We appreciate everyone's patience - thank you!

• mullimoon
    Options

Just got home. The signal refresh did not work. Still same error code. Spectrum TV app gives a DCD 1002 code. So, unable to do my dvr playback.

• sbs8331
    sbs8331 Posts: 3 Spectator
    Options

This has been an issue with me as well and seems to occur when recording and playing simultaneously. For example, I recorded FBI the other night @ 8PM because I wasn't available to watch then. When I tried to watch it via cloud DVR starting at 8:15 it froze so much as to be unwatchable. I'm normally able to watch after the recording has completed. The same thing tonight as I was recording Fox News Special Report at 6 PM and started watching the recording at 6:10, but got frozen out. Yes, I've tried all the reboot processes to no avail. Any progress on analyzing this issue? Thanks.

• James_M
    Options

Thanks.

This is a known intermittent issue with Cloud DVR recordings. Our engineers are aware of this issue and working on a fix. Unfortunately, there is not an ETA available, but they are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

• mullimoon
    Options

I got it. The on-line tech did the signal refresh. It did not work, either on my home xumo box, or my phone's Spectrum TV app. So, I am reading that I am paying for DVR services that either are intermittent, or do not work at all. Depending on the time. At the moment, Spectrum is "working" it, and I am to just sit tight? But, I do get to keep paying for the service, right? I switched from DTV, because I got these kinds of solutions, and non-answers. Not sure I got any improvement here. I realize you are working it, but that does not help the fact that a service that I am paying for does not work, and you can't fix it. I do appreciate you trying to answer my question, but as I read about this, I find I am definitely not the only person with this issue, and that it has been going on for a bit now, with no fix in sight. Again, thanks, I do know it is hard to respond when the fix is illusive. I guess I need to explore different, and better, ways to watch my preferred content. I am just at a loss as to what that might be.

• Specleo18
    Specleo18 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Having the same issue watching recorded shows! Show freezes and/or loses volume for short periods of time. Also getting the same XSTRP-4001 error message and cannot watch the show at all No problem with live TV or watching shows on demand!

• skypunk_grc
    skypunk_grc Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I've had these same issues since I switched from Spectrum box DVR to Spectrum Xumo Cloud DVR Plus in mid-January. I know it's not my WiFi network because I can stream shows on my Fire Stick with no problems. As soon as I try to watch a recording on the Xumo Cloud DVR Plus, I get the buffering, the blank/freezing screens, the 3 dots, the error message XSTRP-1999, etc. I seem to get more issues when I try to watch a recording from Xumo Cloud DVR Plus while the program is still recording. I don't know how many times I've had to power off/on my Xumo box. I've tried all of the suggestions to fix the issues but none of them work. Maybe Spectrum should scrap Xumo and go with something more reliable. If this isn't fixed soon, I'll have to scrap Spectrum and go with another provider.

• Alipman
    Alipman Posts: 2 Spectator
    Answer ✓
    Options

I switched to YouTube TV and I haven't any buffering at all. What a pleasure.

• jcb08
    jcb08 Posts: 1 Spectator
    edited April 15
    Options

I am having sooo many problems iwth the cloud recording. I can never see one program without having many problems. The recorded stops, does not work at all. can't FF or rewind. This application is really BAD that it seems like they didn't even tested or complete the Quality Assurance before provided to their customer. when is Specrum planning to fix all the problems with this application and enhancing it at least to have all the feature we had when using the home DVR.??? I will request a credit on the XUMO use. 😆