Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Why does new XUMO turn off by itself?

Sisk
Sisk Posts: 21 Contributor

I just installed my 2 new XUMO boxes. So far, I like the system. However, the box just turns itself off after several hours. I have the sleep timer set to off. Why is the box shutting down?

Answers

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 817 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited January 19

Hello @Sisk

Welcome to our community! Are you getting the "are you still watching" message before the box turns off or is it just shutting down with no messaging?

• Susanb
    Susanb Posts: 3 Spectator

We have the same problem! The power save option setting is "off" yet the boxes continue to turn off after several hours. Sometimes I get a message ( are you still there?) , other times it just shuts off.

• Renee_T
    Renee_T Posts: 817 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

I'm not seeing any known issues posted for this. Has anyone having this issue tried factory resetting the Xumo yet?

• Darkmage4
    Darkmage4 Posts: 2 Spectator

Resetting to factory default still yields the same issue. It’s every 24 hours. However, we turn the box off over night. But it shuts off everyday at 9:48AM right in the dot. Even with the time change, it’s always 9:48PM. I’ve gone through the spectrum app, there isn’t a timer. I’ve gone through the Xumo settings, and nothing about it. Power saving is off. It’s definitely annoying when you’re watching something. Doesn’t even matter if you’re on Netflix, Hulu, etc.

• TygerX
    TygerX Posts: 1 Newcomer

I also have the same issue and would like to know how to resolve it. I like to listen to music at night while I'm sleeping and every time I wake up it's turned off so I don't know if I'm getting a message or not. Everything is turned off as far as sleep timers and things. I'm about to take the box back to the store.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 5,087 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator

@TygerX

What troubleshooting have you tried? Have you tried restarting the Xumo and rebooting the modem?

• James_M
    edited November 2023

Thanks. Let us know if disabling network standby helps or even resolves the issue.

• J56_23
    J56_23 Posts: 5 Participant

My Xumo turns off after about 3 hours on Spectrum during all times of the day. I finally noticed a message in the upper left hand corner saying that it was about to go into a power saving mode and I would need to push the home button to avoid the device from turning off. I have done everything possible to stop this nuisance. All three of my devices do it. Turning off or on the network standby mode doesn’t affect it. Turning off the sleep timer doesn’t affect it. Turning off or on the overnight power saving does not affect it. It is obviously a glitch in the programming or a planned preventive usage reduction by Spectrum.

• James_M

@J56_23

Welcome!

I was able to locate your account and I am seeing a lot of "bitrate" drops, which indicate a connectivity issue.

Are you connecting the Xumo wireless? If so, can you test while have the Xumo connected directly to the modem with an ethernet cable? Also, does the issue improve if you try restarting the modem?

• J56_23

I am connected Wi-Fi to my three xumo boxes. I have 300+ MPs at router and utilize two boosters nearby the tv’s. I recently turned on the network standby mode, turned off the overnight power saving and the sleep timer. So far it appears that this combo has stopped it from cutting off. 🙏 I also utilize an Amazon Fire stick and have one Amazon Fire Tv with a Xumo.

• James_M

@Sisk

Thanks for the update letting us know. Glad to hear the Xumo is working as expected again. Let us know if you ever have questions or need assistance with this or another issue.

• James_M

@J56_23

Thanks as well for the update. Please let us know if the issue returns.

• RoboAlex
    RoboAlex Posts: 2 Spectator

I'm having the shutdown issue as well. All timers off. Unfortunately this set is for a visually impaired 94 year old who couldn't see a message even if it did appear. I need the system to stay on until we turn it off. Help!

• James_M

@Sisk

I imagine that it is generally low, and that most connect wireless. Connecting with an ethernet cable, even for a limited time to test the connection, can help identify if the issue is wireless interference or an issue with the equipment.

• James_M
    edited November 2023

@RoboAlex

Sorry for any issues. Do you have Network Standby enabled? Have you tried restarting the modem and the Xumo? How often does the device shut off?

• J56_23

Well I spoke too soon. My Xumo box just showed a notice again that it was going into a power saving mode and shutting down unless i immediately push the home button. This is a software problem with the Xumo program. And nothing can be done on my end. So for the Xumo folks monitoring this, Please Solve this!

• J56_23

Additional details about Xumo shutting down. I have been using Amazon Fire sticks in the same TVs now with Xumo boxes. I previously used Spectrum receivers which i replaced with the xumo boxes. My wireless has never been a problem causing my TVs to shut down for energy saving mode. I began this transition with a new Apple TV device using the Spectrum App and it never shut down either. This is definitely a problem with Xumo from my perspective. There may be some interruptions with spectrum internet but not with this regularity. Never have I had anything like this with any of my connected devices. Xumo must fix this defective operating problem.

• Markeddy
    Markeddy Posts: 1 Newcomer

I'm having the same issue turning off every 4 hours. Called tech support and they said it was a hardware problem. Got a new xumo, same thing. This is unacceptable for an 86 year old vision impaired mother in law. I catch it from both ends. Fix it or I go back to dish.

• Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited November 2023

The modem must not have anything to do with this issue. I have 3 Xumo boxes and I've had all 3 playing a fireplace video on YouTube at the same time and all of them turn off at different times. It is extremely frustrating. I want them to stay on when I'm out for the evening so it looks like I'm home. Why can't this be fixed? It's obviously an issue for a lot of customers.

• sanselmi
    sanselmi Posts: 1 Newcomer

Xumo box shuts off every 4 hours. Network stanby mode is off, Sleep timer is off, and overnight power saver is off. The Xumo is hard wired and no connectivity issues. It is very anoying and may cause me to get rid of this Xumo box.

• JEinSTL
    JEinSTL Posts: 2 Spectator

No solution for it as of yet. It's not affiliated with wifi connectivity. It's a factory setting within the xumo itself.

• JF3591
    JF3591 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Just hooked up my new box and it is doing the same thing.

• cr1owd
    cr1owd Posts: 1 Newcomer

Adding my comments to the list in the hopes Spectrum and/or Xumo May take notice - same issues - network solid, Xumo config set to maintain connectivity and not shut down. It still does after about 4 hours..

• Seth_Holloway
    Seth_Holloway Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am having the same issue but now the Xumo box want even come on. Unplug it and plug it back in comes to the home screen and crashes. Replacing a cable box for my 89 year old mother, so she can us the voice command, which works great. But she likes to have it on all night, can't have it shutting off all the time and her calling me to me fix it everytime. Spectrum fix this.

• RTWF
    RTWF Posts: 1 Newcomer

I'd like to jump on this as well

I received a XUMO box when it first launched and had the same issue, worked with Spectrum with limited support, was escalated to XUMO 2nd tier support and they said they left their box on for over 5 hrs and did not turn off

Since I received the box from Spectrum, I had it replaced and the same issue exists. after TV/box being on for "x" number of hours its shuts off. As stated in this thread I saw the message once in the upper left corner to press any button to keep box out of standby

I too watch the TV at night or come and go with it on, XUMO/Spectrum needs to address this issue if not let us know as I will return the box and go with another streaming device as it is not working as intended

I have tried master reset (the little button on front of box under the LED) per XUMO support, if this is a factory reset then why does it still hold my wi-fi logon credentials. It is a soft reset. I have also tried a hardwired cable to my router, no change, even direct to router to rule mine out, no change.

I can provide Spectrum my chat with XUMO, as they own the platform

It need to be resolved, I am concerned that Spectrum believes this is a limited issue. You need to merge "all" the discussions about this subject and the audience grows

looking for your input/support

• Jbazemore2272
    Jbazemore2272 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Turning in my box and changing to another system. Since I got xumo I have had nothing but problems. have spoken to numerous Tech Support and even had a Tech Support. Come to my house but nothing could be resolved. Not only does my tumo box cut off after 4 hours. I have to reboot my xumo box every time to watch programs that I have recorded. Before launching a new product they need to resolve some of the issues.

• Kozzie
    Kozzie Posts: 1 Newcomer

I'm a new Spectrum customer forced to leave the comforts of Comcast since I moved to a city Comcast doesn't service. I'm soooo missing Comcast since Xumo doesn't offer some of the nice features that Comcast does, like a back button or info button when viewing guide [only after clicking on program can you get info about it]. And my latest problem with Spectrum is if I'm on the same channel for 2 or more hours, it shuts itself off!!! I'm obviously not alone with that issue. I agree its a Xumo software glitch!! I'm so missing Comcast more and more!!!

• MartinOH
    MartinOH Posts: 1 Newcomer

I just had a XUMO box installed on a tv in a bedroom. My wife likes to have the tv on all night. The XUMO box shuts off all by itself after 2 or three hours. I have tried to shut off the sleep timer, Network Standby and overnight power saver - NOTHING IN THE SETTINGS WORKS to resolve this issue. After reading through this very long list of disgruntled customers if is very obvious that there is a software glitch with this product. Spectrum and XUMO need to resolve the issue. Please post when the Software Fix will be available for Download.

• Jwil
    Jwil Posts: 1 Newcomer

This needs to change. Pretty sure I should decide when to turn off my TV.

• dhenry
    dhenry Posts: 1 Newcomer

We have our Xumo on Music Choice while we are doing other things around the house , no sleep mode, and after several hours the Xumo powers down leaving a message on the screen of "no signal from HDMI1". This happens predictably and is not a random occurrence.

This discussion has been closed.