Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Why does new XUMO turn off by itself?

Answers

• Quest
    Quest Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited December 2023

This isnt a "small affected few" problem. Its a programming problem. Ive turnded everything off, reset modem. Does not resolve issue. All your troubleshooting is ineffective. I leave my TV on for my Aussie when I need to leave him home. Its awful coming back home to it being off. And to add salt to the wound, the deflecting by Spectrum, which by the way takes time away from your limited free time day.

• Anjsumma34
    Anjsumma34 Posts: 1 Newcomer

So same thing is happening to me all my timers are off but yet all night long I’m waking up and my xumo and tv are both off so frustrating thankfully they didn’t charge me for equipment bc I would have already taken it back but it most definitely needs to be fixed immediately

• Soozie
    Soozie Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have this same exact issue impacting all 3 of my boxes, Xumo just shuts down after several hours. Sometimes I get the are you still watching message, sometimes I don't. Very frustrating.

• MJ1956
    MJ1956 Posts: 2 Spectator

Just to get myself on the list, I have 2 Zumo boxes and have this problem with both. Both are wired to the network. Good solid internet connection. I can put up with a lot, but now my wife isn't happy. Any sentence that begins with "but you told me" isn't a good sign. Let's get this fixed, please.

• Mastec
    Mastec Posts: 1 Newcomer

I was having the same issues with my XUMO TV connected to my 5G internet. I switched to the 2.4 signal and the problem seems to have resolved itself. We have 17 devices connecting to our 5G so I'm wondering if its network congestion, not sure. Our 2.4 signal only has 2 devices connected, Ring doorbell and wireless printer.

• edrob_0724
    edrob_0724 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Just purchased 2 Xumo boxes and they just randomly powe off. Tried all troubleshooting suggestions posted. Still fails. I purchased these to replace Roku boxes. Looks like it was a mistake. I guess I have to switch back to the old Roku's. The Xumos should not have been released until they were thoroughly tested

Bad for business.

• cbarci
    cbarci Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same shuts off after a few hours I like it better than ROKU but this has got to go, the shutting off on its own. Having to turn off then back on. One WiFi and One Hardwired both do same thing.

• MJ1956
    MJ1956 Posts: 2 Spectator

Well I suspect that Zumo entirely designed the box, & just came to an agreement with Spectrum. They provide the boxes and allow the spectrum app & give it top priority.

If that's the case, Spectrum probably can't tell us anything. They're just along for the ride with us.

• JC66
    JC66 Posts: 1 Newcomer

We have been having this problem with both of our Xumo devices. One is hard wired the other is not. It seems like Spectrum eventually wants to get away from cable boxes and have people use Xumo. I really think they need to fix this bug first.

• GopherBruinEate
    GopherBruinEate Posts: 2 Spectator

This is very annoying and why I might return this box. Nobody should have to touch the remote to keep it from going into standby or sleep mode. I never used to turn off my cable boxes as I wanted instant access to TV. This must be fixed!!!

• JamesCSr21
    JamesCSr21 Posts: 2 Spectator

This auto shut off is a real issue you need to fix!

• Cilj
    Cilj Posts: 3 Spectator

Same problem with 3 Xumos. The remote is bad enough so, at least, fix this problem. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps listed here.

• Beholder628
    Beholder628 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Ok really is time for Spectrum or Xumo to fix this issue, mine is same as every one else’s, solid network, hardwired to Xumo box and yet box shuts down.

• Lovelylj
    Lovelylj Posts: 1 Newcomer

I just switched to spectrum from Verizon not even 2 weeks yet and the xumo box is giving me problems. I see that most if not all of us is having the same issue. The xumo box shuts off by itself after about 2 hours. I have ALL the settings switched to "off" and it still does it.

• jdinny
    jdinny Posts: 5 Participant
    edited December 2023

First post.

just got these xumo boxes yesterday (three) switching from DTV.

The first one I set up ran for about three hours and then "went to sleep". Solid light, to blinking light to OFF, wtf !

Had to press and hold the home button to get on again.

The second box, so far is still working, 13 hours later, and haven't setup the third one yet.

This really needs to be fixed, and yes, the remote sucks ;)

Thinking of trying a Roku Ultra.

Happy New year to all

• JPWinNY
    JPWinNY Posts: 1 Newcomer

Checking in with the same problem. I have two and I’m sending one back as it’s underwhelming overall. It really does not give me anything beyond the Spectrum App.

• Susans
    Susans Posts: 1 Newcomer

I share the problem everyone else is having: box shuts down.

• EAdamson
    EAdamson Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am experiencing the same problem that everyone else reporting in that my new Xumo box shuts down. I am connected via Wifi and have turned off the network standby mode, turned off the overnight power saving and the sleep timer.

• Whovian1960
    Whovian1960 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I spoke to Xumo and this is NOT something you can fix. I’ve tried everything. They told me by EU law, that the devices are required to shut down on their own after a certain time frame of inactivity. ( which I gather is no more than 4 hours) . What I don’t understand is them saying this is not a widespread issue when this energy “feature” is actually required in manufacturing. It’s also not cool that Spectrum does not acknowledge this. The only way for it to not shut down is to show activity on the remote to prove that someone is there watching. The only resolution appears to be to change channels before it gets to the four hour window. I haven’t tested it yet but I’m wondering if just changing the volume level would do the trick. Regardless this is horrible ( I have an 84 year old mother who insists her tv be on all night) and an EU law shouldn’t apply to us in the states.

• LDH
    LDH Posts: 1 Spectator

Spectrum, Fix the Silent Logout on Xumo, I shut off at least 4 times or more a day. I have 500 mb of WIFI, I have the extender, Modum and Box are 30 feet away, I'm not running an ethernet line across my living room!!,thats why I have WIFI!!. All settings are disabled on TV for timeouts. It just shuts off, or I get the no connection screen. Also, it just freezes up especially on commercials. Every time xumo has to be rebooted. I had Dish before , it worked great and their remote was the best. The Spectrum remote is pure junk. I am so sorry I went to Xumo, Shame on Spectrum and its IT section for not fixing this. Customer support says "its a known problem" Excuse me if its known then fix the issue , or send us new xumo boxes. Wake up fools, this Xumo thing is horrible, give me my cable box back!!.

• J56_23
    J56_23 Posts: 5 Participant

I have waited for two months for this problem with the Xumo box turning off in power saving mode. It is a fault with the software and they obviously don’t want to fix it. I have replaced one with an Apple TV box that has the Spectrum app. It doesn’t turn off! Xumo no more!

• Dm70km
    Dm70km Posts: 1 Newcomer

We like to leave our TV on through the night and sometimes during the day for our animals, but with the Xumo box and the Spectrum App it automatically times out and shuts everything off. How do we prevent this and with technology these days you would think we could prevent it from going to sleep, how can we fix this? ????? it is so frustrating how these are buried and not straightforward!!!!

• K2003
    K2003 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited January 18

I just switched from the DVR boxes, it was bad enough that the channels were being changed to ones I didn’t watch while the box was off, but now Xumo going into energy mode and cutting off is more annoying than I can say, I have family with dementia and this stresses them out, if this is not corrected soon I will have to find another alternative, spectrum I hope you are reading this

• disgruntled43
    disgruntled43 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am having the same problem. I have had it on wifi, ethernet cable, turned off all three standby modes, and xumo still goes into silent logout or power saving mode every few hours. It also requires me to do a soft reset (unplug power and plug back in) and renavigate on my TV to have xumo be the input. And this is for my 95 year old mom who has a hard enough time with technology. Fix this problem. It must be a simple software update.

• Arlytc
    Arlytc Posts: 2 Spectator

Same problem here with 3 Xumo boxes installed about 2 weeks ago - intermittent and random shut-off by all 3 of them. When I've discussed this with Spectrum support, it was as though they've never heard of this problem. I was referred to Xumo staff "experts", which is online chat only and very cumbersome. I also got the "EU explanation", which I failed to understand, and a suggestion to change a setting that of course had no effect.

It's obvious by the 3 pages of similar experiences, this is more than an isolated or unusual occurrence. I really don't care if it is a connection interference or equipment failure issue. All of this is supplied/supported by Spectrum, it does not function correctly, and there is apparently no fix. I just ordered a Roku device and will see how it works. If it does, I will order 2 more and return the Xumo boxes to Spectrum.

• Terry_McCann
    Terry_McCann Posts: 18 Participant

I don't yet have the Xumo box (waiting for start of billing cycle) but I found this post that offered this solution:

"I read online where someone said to press the home button on the remote while the Xumo receiver box was rebooting after unplugging and then plugging it back in. It worked. My Xumo stayed powered on and all my settings were still there."

Terry

• ThomasM
    ThomasM Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am having the same problem as everyone else with the XUMO shutting down after 4 hours. I saw one post that said that this is because of an EU rule for power saving. If this is true why does not every other unit I have connected do the same thing? Did not have this problem with ROKU stick. I think I might be done with Spectrum TV. Do not have an alternative for Internet right nowl.

• Terry_McCann
    Terry_McCann Posts: 18 Participant

I'm not ready to dump Spectrum yet having lived through the nightmare of DirectTV pixelating if a bird farts while flying by. Also because Bally Sport is important to us for Cardinal baseball.

I've used nothing but Roku devices for streaming and Spectrum DVRs for recording. I just recently found out about Spectrum's plans to eventually discontinue set top DVRs and go strictly streaming. I'm going to rent a Xumo at the beginning of the next billing cycle in February along with the cloud DVR service so I'll have at least a month to try them out.

I've played with the Spectrum app on Roku and a Samsung smart TV we have and it appears that it will work for us. My hope is that renting the Xumo box is not a requirement for having the cloud DVR service and we will be able to drive everything from our Roku devices.

Terry

• SilverCamaro
    SilverCamaro Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same. This problem is enough to cancel my spectrum as a whole.

• Kaydee
    Kaydee Posts: 1 Newcomer

I really like the box and having all the apps in one place but it's so annoying when it shuts off every 4 hours. I have double checked all my settings, and it's not a me problem. Please fix this- quick!! Or I may have to go back to the old cable boxes!

This discussion has been closed.