You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Why does my audio go out of sync on the spectrum app?

bleen
bleen Posts: 5 Participant

For the past few months the audio on the Spectrum App on our Apple TVs (2022- 4K) has been frequently out of sync with the video. I only watch “live TV” on this app.

The sound starts out fine when i start the app but over time it gets more and more out of sync. I can fix the issue by changing the channel and changing it back. Eventually the sound will drift again.

some notes:

• - this started in early Nov 2022 i think
  • - this ONLY happens on the spectrum app. All other apps are fine which leads me to believe the hardware and cables are all configured properly and working
  • - We have two TVs with two Apple TVs both seeing the same problems This tells me the apple tv hardware is not the problem
  • - I have tried every permutation of audio and video settings available on my TV, my apple tv and the spectrum app
  • - I have tried rebooting my cable modem with no effect
  • - My internet speeds have been (remarkably) consistent which leads me to believe we have no signal problem

Finally, I work for a major streaming platform and i’m very (VERY) familiar with the ins and outs of streaming applications and this definitely feels like an encoding issue where the audio and video frame rates do not match

Please fix

Crosslink: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254473162?answerId=258391983022#258391983022

Best Answers

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,607 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

@All who have posted -

I have forwarded this thread and the general content to the app developers for investigation. I will provide an update when one is available.

Answers

• James_M
    edited December 2022

Hi & welcome!

Thanks for the thorough round of troubleshooting. We are not seeing any widespread reports of audio sync issues that would indicate a code related issue, this sounds more like an individual issue.

Have you also tried deleting and reinstalling the app as well as restarting the Apple TV? Also, I was able to locate your account information and the modem has been a online for 39 days. Please try restarting the modem again (unplug the power, etc..) and let us know if the issue continues.

• kvinmn
    kvinmn Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited December 2022

This is not an isolated incident. We have been experiencing the exact symptoms over the same timeframe.

It is strictly the Spectrum app on our Apple TV.

I also have instances where the app becomes unresponsive and when we return to the Apple TV app menu, the Spectrum app will still have audio play until I choose a different app.

This seems to correspond to your latest app upgrade.

• Stevenc
    Stevenc Posts: 2 Spectator
    edited December 2022

I have been experiencing the same recurring problem with audio-video sync issues. It has been happening for weeks now, and it is only on the spectrum app when streaming on apple tvs or my ipad. The way it manifested itself initially was watching live tv, and during a commercial break the video would freeze. Changing channels and coming back reset everything back to normal. If I left the channel, the video would eventually resume, but then audio video sync issues were materially apparent. Now, the commercials no longer freeze, but I incur recurring audio video sync issues watching live tv. Note: internet speed is 300mbs+ and jitter is typically 7-10ms. Rebooting modem, router and restarting apple tv are all only temporary fixes. Technician has been to house, and found nothing. Note: spectrum says they can’t replicate, but they do not have appledevices to check the streaming integrity, to verify there is not some compatibility issue with. This is getting old real fast…

• James_M
    edited December 2022

@kvinmn & @Stevenc

Hi & welcome! Sorry for any issue with the app. While symptoms may seem similar, these are typically individual issues that need to be addressed individually.

I've included a link to Troubleshooting the Spectrum TV App that may be helpful. If you need direct assistance, please start a new post and include any additional troubleshooting you have tried.

Thanks!

• RSB
    RSB Posts: 2 Spectator

I am experiencing the same issue. Started early December.

It only happens with the Spectrum app with live tv on my Apple TV. No other app has this problem. I repeat, all other apps, HBO, Apple TV+, Hulu, Netflix and Prime, do not have this issue. The fix is to change the channel and change back. The audio is in sync for a while, then goes back out of sync. Inevitably it happens again, rinse and repeat

There are discussion about this all over the internet. I’ve seen it on Reddit and Apple discussions to name just a couple. Again, simply changing the channel causes to get back in sync temporarily.

• James_M

@RSB

Hi & welcome! Sorry for any issue with the app. While symptoms may seem similar, these are typically individual issues that need to be addressed individually. As well, live tv streaming is more sensitive to fluxuations in the internet signal, especially over WiFi, when compared to OnDemand type streaming found on other apps where the content is preloaded and buffered when the stream is launched.

I've included a link to Troubleshooting the Spectrum TV App that may be helpful. If you need direct assistance, please start a new post and include any additional troubleshooting you have tried. Please feel free to also include links to other discussions on this topic.

Thanks!

• Samehere
    Samehere Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same here! Problem getting worse each day. Have to change the channel every hour to re-sync audio. Used to be once per day. No problems with other apps. Have reset all equipment. Not an individual issue! Troubleshooting links do not help.

• DoubleD
    DoubleD Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same exact issue here, audio constantly out of sync, and even sometimes completely freezing the channel. Does not matter the channel. I have 4 of the Apple TV boxes and all are doing it, JUST ON SPECTRUM.

I have logged into Comcast and Frontier on the same Apple TVs here and they all seem to work great, same with Disney+, Amazon Prime, and Peacock too.

It seemed to have started late October for me. I even updated to the latest version of Apple TV last night, and it is doing the issues right as I type this.

Rebooting the Apple TV does seem to make it better, for about an hour, then its back to constantly doing it no matter how often I fix it.

• captjwm
    captjwm Posts: 2 Spectator

The Spectrum response is totally wrong. This is a system issue with the app. I've been having the same issue for the past ten days on my primary TV using Apple TV and the Spectrum app.

YouTube TV doesn't have this issue and most of the same channels are there. Just saying.......

• captjwm
    captjwm Posts: 2 Spectator

I notice a lot of newcomers commenting on this issue. Spectrum should focus on this problem since appears there are a lot of new folks commenting.

• SweetSK
    SweetSK Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited December 2022

I’ll add that I’ve had the same issues as listed above. Tried everything. I have one Apple TV wired and one wireless. Same issues on both. No issues with any of the other APPS.

Has anyone noted that spectrum app recently went through an update and perhaps there is a connection??

Chatted today with Spectrum rep. I pretty much wasted my time as well as the customer service rep’s time. Her usual troubleshooting script were things I have already done. Hoping she will kick thread up the food chain along with several links I provided of issues we are all having.

App developers need to get on this ASAP.

• batf16
    batf16 Posts: 2 Newcomer

I have the same issue with the audio sync. I sometimes find that it starts at a commercial, but that may be because I am watching sports where if it is off just a little it is not noticeable. I have signed out of spectrum, deleted/reloaded the app, reset the modem, reset the AppleTV, etc. None of it is making a difference. The only common denominator is the Spectrum app. All of the other apps are not an issue. This is getting old fast. I have made a couple of calls for help with Spectrum and they claim I am the first to experience the issue. Obviously, this is not the case. They next try to blame it on the AppleTV, but don't seem to understand that it is only the Spectrum app that has a problem.

• RanchoMirageUser
    RanchoMirageUser Posts: 3 Spectator

Been having the same issue since November. Using Spectrum app via Apple TV linked to Samsung TV. Tec guys at Spectrum don’t know why it happens. Spectrum better resolve this soon or I will be one of many customers to cancel Spectrum.

• Sounddelayissue
    Sounddelayissue Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same issue since November. Have tried to reset, re-download the app, do all the things suggested and it’s only getting worse. I live in a coop who bought into a spectrum bundle. If not for that, I would be looking elsewhere for service. Please fix the issue!

• Alientek
    Alientek Posts: 6 Participant

Am experiencing THE EXACT same problem on 2 separate APPLE TV devices ONLY using the Spectrum Tv app while watching live tv.

It started mid November & has progressively gotten worse. At first I only experienced it on certain channels (SYFY, BBC America, AMC). Now it happens on most channels. Most often it is right after a commercial break.

The program will be playing & dialogue is in sync, then there will be a little hiccup & the recent bit of dialogue will repeat as if it jumped back a couple seconds. The video does not jump back though. From this point it is now out of sync. It will happen again every so often causing it to get further out of sync. Changing the channel corrects it, but only for a short bit.

Again, this started in November after updating the Spectrum TV app.

I do not allow auto updating because I prefer to perform updates manually so I know exactly when something was updated in case of issues like this.

• Teddy_Cecilia
    Teddy_Cecilia Posts: 1 Newcomer

I am having the same issue. I'm trying to watch a NFL game on CBS using the Spectrum App and the audio/sound constantly gets out of sync. Very frustrating.

• spoehler07
    spoehler07 Posts: 1 Newcomer

As with the other users in this communication thread, I am experiencing the same issues with the Spectrum App on my 2021 4k AppleTV. This is not an isolated issue. And as the others have stated, when using other streaming services on my AppleTV, I do not encounter this issue. Download speed is more than sufficient, averaging anywhere between 400 and 500 mbps using wireless mesh. The signal strength within my wifi network is full strength in the locations for both of my. AppleTV devices.

• KMcNC
    KMcNC Posts: 1 Newcomer

Just sitting here fuming with the same issues - clearly something that has just cropped up early December and continues to increase- have Apple TV and recently had Spectrum technician come out on 11/29 to perform many updates and everything was perfect on the app either on iPad or via AppleTV on Sony TV. Then it goes blurry frequently, freezes during commercials and then audio goes out of sync. About ready to cancel spectrum TV…all other apps work perfectly…Spectrum fix this or people will leave for other streaming services.

• Mschmaltz
    Mschmaltz Posts: 12 Participant

Same problems here in Hawaii. Has been happening for a couple of months now. Driving us crazy. Using 2 Apple TVs and both have the problem with the Spectrum streaming app. The problem starts exactly as described in previous posts. I have performed multiple "Erase and Update" processes on both Apple TVs. The problem goes away for a day or so, then it's back again.

It happens when the streaming content goes to commercial (as described previously). You hear the audio repeat itself briefly (about a phrase or short sentence in duration is repeated), or the video freezes, then we look at each other and say "Here we go again. The audio is out of sync). Then someone will change channels and go back to the one we were watching and it is back in sync after you see the spinning buffering symbol on the screen. I've assigned static IP addresses to my Apple TVs and increased my Lease Time on my router (thinking reassigning IP addresses might contribute to the problem). NOTHING WORKS!!!!!! I was experiencing the problem on my iPad. I cleared the Watch History in the iOS Spectrum app several days ago. That seemed to resolve the problem in my iPad so far.

• Mschmaltz

I have the ability to have the Apple TVs use both wired and wireless and have tried both connection types for each Apple TV. Again, NOTHING helps. Still paying for the AppleTVs through the Spectrum purchase program. Network throughput is consistently 475Mb+. Modem signals are well below 50 dB (generally in the mid-30 dB) on all channels.

• Katt210
    Katt210 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I thought I was going mad until I came across this thread (and the one on Apple discussions). I honestly thought I was the only one having this issue. While I am less than pleased that this is happening, it's nice to know it's not just happening to me! Same exact issues as you all. Audio gets out of sync. Like everyone else, I've tried all of the common fixes and nothing has worked. Spectrum, please realize this is an issue with your app and fix it!

• surfsidecreative
    surfsidecreative Posts: 1 Newcomer

problem is not isolated. I have been having this same issue with only the Spectrum app since we first started using the Spectrum app on the Spectrum-provided ATV in December 2021. Frustrating. That’s why I try to use other apps if I can to watch the same programming.

• WaltB
    WaltB Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same issue. Would like a response from Spectrum when this has been fixed. Won’t hold my breath though.

• Gsb
    Gsb Posts: 5 Spectator

It’s been happening here in central Texas also. Swapped 4K cables. Apple TV 4+ is connected through cat6 cable. Unplugged 30 seconds. Deleted app and reinstalled twice. Sync gets really bad at times. Makes watching live tv really bad. Quick fix is to change channel and back. Could stay in sync for an hour or more. But at times it only takes a few min to go back out. Samsung TV set to pcm and optimized audio. Tried all other setting. Did not change. No issues with any other apps. Spectrum it’s your app. If it were anything thing with the input signal it would be on all apps fix it

• Gmflatrate
    Gmflatrate Posts: 1 Newcomer

Having the same problem.

• AllenFinch1974
    AllenFinch1974 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I'm having the exact same issue in Pinehurst, NC!

• Mschmaltz

In Hawaii, also been streaming on Pluto and Amazon Prime. No issues with those two apps. Been experiencing the Spectrum-related problem on two primary TVs we watch - Samsung with a Samsung Sound Bar connected via HDMI, and LG using the TV's built in speakers. Tried setting audio to Game Mode on the Samsung like some on the Internet suggested. Didn't help. Both Apple TVs connected to the Samsung and LG are currently hardwired. The Samsung was wirelessly attached a couple of days ago. But still experiencing the problem both wired and wireless. Wired Ethernet cables are Cat7 with MoCA in between for the Samsung. The LG is hardwired with Cat7 through a Cisco Gigabit switch.