You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Spectrum TV app with Roku goes black random times while watching - RESOLVED

Options
gcorreia56
gcorreia56 Posts: 25 Contributor

Only have had this problem with the Spectrum app. No problem with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube. Screen will go black and no sound. This happens at random times while watching Spectrum TV. To get the channel back, I use the back arrow on the ROKU and then go back into Spectrum app. This is an annoying bug. It happens with all my ROKU devices only when using the Spectrum app.

Best Answers

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 359 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @gcorreia56

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with the Spectrum TV app on your Roku. We are happy to look into this for you. The app works in conjunction with your internet modem. Please sign out of the app, reboot the modem then sign back into the app. Let me know if this helps.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,717 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@AndyRules, @mdifranco & @Thisted,

What you are describing is typically caused by connectivity issues. In most cases, restarting the modem resolves these issues. Even if it has been restarted recently, please try restarting another time. You may also need to restart the Roku from the settings menu.

If the issue continues, you can check out this link for app troubleshooting.

@gcorreia56,

Thanks for restarting your modem. You may also need to restart the Roku from the settings menu.

• James_M
    Answer ✓
    Options

Everyone,

I have reached out to the app team, provided detailed descriptions of this reported issue and they are currently investigating.

I will provide additional updates when they become available.

In the meantime, others have posted that selecting the back button restores the programming stream.

Thanks for your patience.

• James_M
    Answer ✓
    Options

Updated 12/7/23

Everyone,

The app team has reached out to our team and they are planning to release an update that will fix this issue in the very near future. I will provide an additional update when the update is available.

In the meantime, others have posted that selecting the back button restores the programming stream.

Thanks again for your patience, and thank you to everyone who has brought this issue to our attention so it can be resolved.

• MVM
    MVM Posts: 14 Participant
    Answer ✓
    Options

The Spectrum APP just updated from version 11.2 to 11.3. Is this the fix? Thanks MVM

• James_M
    Answer ✓
    Options

Update 12/12/23

All,

I have confirmed with the developers that the Spectrum TV App for ROKU has been updated to version 11.3 on 12/11/23. This update includes a fix to resolve the random black / blank screen issue.

Updates are usually automatic, to check your current app version, go to the Roku home screen, highlight the Spectrum app and press the asterisk (*) button. If your device has not been updated, select "Check for Updates".

If you are still experiencing an issue with your device, please start a new post. If this solved your issue, please select the "like" button below.

Thanks!

Answers

• andymp3
    andymp3 Posts: 13 Participant
    edited November 2023
    Options

Yes, same thing here. Only answer ever seems to be reinstall app, reboot, etc etc. But a quicker way to get it back is hit right, bring up menu, change channel back and forth.

• AndyRules
    AndyRules Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Having the same issue with our Roku app. Any resolution to this issue yet? Seems like it started happening last month or so.

• James_M
    Options

@AndyRules & @gcorreia56,

What you are describing is caused by connectivity issues. In most cases, restarting the modem resolves these issues. Even if it has been restarted recently, please try restarting another time. If the issue continues, you can check out this link for app troubleshooting.

• Thisted
    Thisted Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Mine does this at 7:10 am and 7:10 pm every day.

• mdifranco
    mdifranco Posts: 3 Spectator
    Options

I am seeing the same thing. it happened tonight at 7:10 to me. This is not an internet issue I have looked at my throughput on my router and there is no drop in service and my tv is connected via ethernet. This seems to have started with the latest release 11/17/2023 build date. I have seen this some additional times beyond the 7:10 times also. This is most definitely a Spectrum bug in the app. It does not act like connection errors. I even tested this by disconnecting my tv from ethernet and also testing disconnecting my modem, both of these tests produced connection errors but did not make the spectrum app go black. I have also reinstalled the spectrum app, hard reset the roku tv and did a full factory reset on the roku tv.

• AndyRules
    AndyRules Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Can't say I noticed the time, but when it happens I hit rewind button to go last channel and it starts working again. Definitely just started doing this mid November, so I had a feeling it was from an update. My wife and daughter will be streaming on other TVs just fine and dandy, but only Spectrum ROKU app seems to be glitching

• James_M
    Options

@AndyRules, @mdifranco & @Thisted,

What you are describing is caused by connectivity issues. In most cases, restarting the modem resolves these issues. Even if it has been restarted recently, please try restarting another time. You may also need to restart the Roku from the settings menu.

If the issue continues, you can check out this link for app troubleshooting.

@gcorreia56,

Thanks for restarting your modem. You may also need to restart the Roku from the settings menu.

• mdifranco
    Options

I have tried all of that and more. Have you submitted a ticket to the development teams to look at the differences between the 11/17 release and the precious release. This many people would not be seeing this issue for the first time all of the sudden if this is truly a connectivity issue.

6146229605 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

The "going to black" on Roku is a prevalent issue. Everyone reports the same conditions: all other streaming services are fine. This is a Spectrum issue that actually requires investigation --- this isn't a subscriber issue. Again, no other streaming services are problematic. Stop being dismissive of widespread problems.

• James_M
    Options

@mdifranco,

At this time, there are no widespread issues impacting the TV app on Roku. The issues described in this thread are consistent with individual connectivity issues. Even though your modem was restarted recently (6+ days ago), restarting it again, along with any connected routers, will usually resolve the issue. Even if it only resolves the issue for a short time, and the issue returns again, that is information that can be useful in additional troubleshooting.

Thanks!

• Reevest
    Reevest Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I’m having the same issue as well with the black screen. Hitting the back arrow fixes the problem until next time. Like everyone else it is not an issue with any other streaming services. It is definitely a Spectrum issue. I’m posting only to show there are others having the issue too.

• Fritome
    Fritome Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Having same problem. Started after update mid Nov. 2023

356476 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I’m having the same issue with the app cutting out/ crashing. It’s definitely an app problem. I have tried everything even buying a new Roku and factory resetting my tv and still have the same problem. If this problem persists I’ll be looking for another service provider!!

• mdifranco
    Options

I am happy to restart my modem again but this sounds more than an isolated issue. With its randomness I am sure it is just not being reported yet. There is a fair amount of people on this thread that all have the same issue all beginning with the update on 11/17.

• Mmcfar
    Mmcfar Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

we are also having the same issue. Have not noticed it at a specific time but it happens every evening night and during the morning.

• jj893
    jj893 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I have been having this issue since Spectrum updated their app on 11/17/23 version 11.2.0. I have no issues with connectivity and all other apps work fine. Its not my modem, router or switch.

• Jim_M1
    Jim_M1 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I've had the same issue with the screen just going black at seemingly random times. Have rebooted and reinstalled everything with no help. It is definitely a Spectrum App issue as this did NOT happen until the last Spectrum app update. I'm a Senior Electrical Engineer, have spent over 40 years designing and troubleshooting electronics and software. Spectrum needs to have someone look at the latest app update and find the software "bug" that obviously exists..

• Woody56
    Woody56 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

For quick resolution (NOT FIX) - when you are on the black screen... hit your remote button that launches the "Spectrums Quick guide" (the one that pops out from the side of the screen), then hit the ok/select button (your channel should already be highlighted). It will pull the channel out of the black.

The Black Screen is reminiscent of other streaming apps that ask you after being idle with your remote for a given period of time "are you still watching?", (the reason that is done is for bandwidth purposes). Personally if you pay for something you should be able to do whatever you want including watch 24/7 without interruption outside of cable's commercial content.

"Connectivity issues" is the basic simp response because they can pay anyone to write prewritten responses. Many sites use bots, and the response (even though has a name) is just A.I.. There is probably a tracking counter that flags this issue once soo many hits on this page have happened. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if I triggered a response from James.

• knowhow55
    knowhow55 Posts: 4 Spectator
    Options

Still happening MST - random times.

Please fix the app.

• knowhow55
    knowhow55 Posts: 4 Spectator
    Options

Please fix the Spectrum app going blank with no sound randomly.

Pushing the guide arrow will start it back but it is annoying.

Thank you

This discussion has been closed.