Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Why does new XUMO turn off by itself?

Answers

• SJones
    SJones Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have Spectrum for my elderly dementia Mother. She needs the TV on 24/7 or she gets panicked. We thought the Xumo was a solution because of ease of use. (Spectrum isn't available on Brand New TCL TV, so enter Xumo... So dumb). Now this Xumo box cuts off every 4 hours! Please fix this issue!

• Arlytc
    Arlytc Posts: 2 Spectator

This is an update from my previous post on Feb 8. I tried the Roku Ultra and discovered it never turned off on its own, but it had other limitations. My wife has vision issues and really likes the voice option on the remote to change channels. While the Roku does have a voice control option, it cannot change channels within the Spectrum TV app like Xumo can. Also, it is my belief the picture quality on Xumo is slightly better than Roku.

I’ve called Spectrum support numerous times, and almost all the reps I’ve talked to say they have not heard of the shut-off issue. I was sent a replacement box for one of my 3 tv’s to see if that corrects the problem. It did not, and in fact created a new issue with failure to power on. I then had an excellent, very caring tech come to my house to troubleshoot that issue. She spent about 2 hrs going over all my equipment, cables, settings, and connections. She did solve my new problem and in the process replaced the Xumo box yet again. She also contacted a regional supervisor in another state who informed her a hard reset (an option in settings) would correct the shut-off problem, which I performed on 2 of my Xumo boxes. Within 4 hrs I discovered both boxes had shut off. At this point I have given up trying to correct it as I have no idea what the fix is, and it’s obvious Spectrum/Xumo doesn’t either.

When I returned the extra boxes to the Spectrum store I spoke to an associate who told me he’s only heard from a few customers about the shut-off issue. He thinks it is a manufacturing design or software component that is part of every box and that most users must be just living with it. He also mentioned the boxes can over-heat easily and can shut down for that reason as well. If it is strictly a software issue, he believes Xumo will eventually correct it through an update, however I don’t share his optimism. Very few things work perfectly these days, and everything seems to have its pros and cons. I think I just need to evaluate which side has the higher weight and act accordingly. Until something better overall comes along, I guess I’m living with with the inconvenience of an intermittent shut-off and the hope it doesn’t happen too often.

• SoHelpMe
    SoHelpMe Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited February 13

I also have this same issue and it shut down during the last few minutes of the super bowl! I missed the end because of this nonsense. I was just watching the news after the TV being on for a few hours and it shut down.

I specifically choose this instead of canceling my TV service from spectrum (was talked into it by the represenative) because I was assured my dogs could watch Animal planet channel whilist I was at work. 5 hours later when I come home for lunch the Xumo is OFF and my dogs are not entertained and antsy because they are used to the noise to keep them company!

Dont even get me started on how awful the spectrum app is on my Samsung in the bedroom.

• Terry_McCann
    Terry_McCann Posts: 18 Participant

I picked up the Xumo box February 10 to assess whether we wanted to jump off the DVR set top box train and save the money. I hooked it up and let live TV run on it and it randomly stopped as everyone else is reporting so it is going back to the store. We use Roku devices for streaming so we can use the Spectrum app there if Spectrum discontinues support for the set top boxes before they get the Xumo problem fixed.

Terry

• techguy30
    techguy30 Posts: 2 Spectator

The sleep timer settings on Xumo is broken still goes to sleep when you change the settings to not sleep.

• Harlee
    Harlee Posts: 1 Newcomer

Sort of glad that I'm not the only one having this issue. We have two Xumos and both of them will turn themselves off whenever they want with no rhyme or reason. Spectrum needs to fix this issue! I haven't really gotten Xumo to do anything that I've been told it would do, so it's very disconcerting. I may end up returing the box and using a different device myself.

• Terry_McCann

I talked to support today and they did say for the first time I know of that it is a known issue and they are working on a solution blah blah blah.

In my evaluation of the box to determine how it would work for us I concluded that it provides nothing significant that my existing Roku boxes deliver so I'm done with it even if they do fix the issue. Another point is cost: Xumo $60, Roku $25.

• Carole1249
    Carole1249 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I’m disappointed that xumo powers off for no reason. This should not happen. I leave my tv on when I leave my house as company for my dog & so it appears I’m home.

• turnertom
    turnertom Posts: 1 Spectator

We have two Xumo boxes for three weeks now. One we want to have stay on throughout the night. I've cancelled the power saver on both the Xumo box and LG TV but yet, the Xumo shuts off at roughly 4:00am, every night. We've hd Spectrum service tech ut two weeks in a row now and at yesterday's visit, he ran a new feed line from the street tap to the junction box on the side of the house, no splices whatsoever. Didn't work the box shut off again last night at 4:00. During the first week, there were a lot of T-3 and T-4 events, I didn't call about last night yet.

If this cannot be remedied quickly, I'll be deciding on whether to return the Xumo and go with Roku stick, which did not shut off in the middle of the night.

Any advice on how to correct this is greatly appreciated.

8607941208 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have the same problem my 2-boxs turning off every 4-hrs. I've changed all settings to not go to sleep and nothing works. I called thim and been back to the store with no help. I've been told by the service technician department to get a new box. They all lying to you. They are all playing Stupid. I'm paying for service and not for thim to decide they are going to shout it off every 4-Hrs.

Time to change service Company

• Terry_McCann
  • crochetallday_14
    crochetallday_14 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Have had Spectrum for years and previously had the Spectrum boxes. The automatic shut off (for lack of activity, i.e. changing channel, etc.) was a problem, but technicians were able to override to prevent this from occurring. Spectrum changed all boxes to Xumo (not our choice) 5 months ago and it has been nothing but a pain in the a**. Spectrum claims to have no knowledge of the problem and all of our Xumo boxes have been replaced several times. All continue to automatically shut off after as little as 30 minutes to 4 hours of inactivity. We are paying to use Spectrum/Xumo 24 hours a day if we so choose. If they would like to give us a credit for the time our boxes are off, we'll talk about it. Until then, it is like the power company turning off your power because you haven't engaged your lights for awhile, but still charging you for the power you didn't use. Spectrum knows exactly what is going on and I absolutely believe they have been instructed to not acknowledge it. I would drop them in a heartbeat if there was an another feasible alternative in my area.

• phbassnotbas_1
    phbassnotbas_1 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have 2 XUMO's one stays on the other turns itself off after 3 or 4 hours. It is a our bedroom and trying hardwired option in not doable. We have had the boxes for a little over a week. Can't seem to find my way into settings to see or change any power settings. Not sure what to do next

• Dasman207
    Dasman207 Posts: 6 Spectator

Following because my 2 new xumos shut down after a period of inactivity

• Dasman207
    Dasman207 Posts: 6 Spectator

I have the same issue as almost everyone who has a Xumo box....the 2 boxes I have turn off after 4 hours of inactivity. I recently swapped to Spectrum from satellite because broadband cable was recently installed in my neighborhood. I see others speak of dumping Xumo and using the Spectrum ap. What is the spectrum ap? THe only way I have to change channels is the Xumo box. What else can I use to change channels? Xumo shutting down is unacceptable, I never had satellite shut down because of in activity.

• Terry_McCann

The Spectrum app is available as a Roku channel and can be installed on Samsung smart TVs (at least ours) and gives the same functionality as Xumo. The Xumo box comes with the app installed and as far as I know you can't add any other streaming channels. A Roku streaming device starts at about $25 as opposed to $60 for Xumo.

There is also a browser based method (watch.spectrum.net) which I use to watch on my desktop PC and a Spectrum TV app for phones and tablets.

This discussion has been closed.