Cloud DVR Playback Issues (recordings are freezing) - UPDATED 4/18/24 with a message from Spectrum

Options

Comments

• LM77
    LM77 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Just adding to our list after reading the continuous comments. It is so sad that the company representatives are also giving inconsistent messages and for that matter credits (or lack of them). We all should be given the same message. At this point to be transparent they should send a notice out to all DVR users. If they want to appease us and seem more reputable, we all should be credited whatever we pay for the DVR service AUTOMATICALLY! They should not expect us to call, be on hold, get different stories and so forth. LOL-when I mentioned to the rep that Spectrum sends me messages almost every day regarding mobile or internet add-ons, and why couldn't they send one about this issue, his FIX was to tell me he could stop the "advertising messages". Clearly he didn't see the bigger picture and the bigger issue!

• spfloren
    spfloren Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Just adding myself to the list of customers where my scheduled recordings are NOT recording. It seems this problem started this past Monday! I was told Spectrum knows about the problem, but wouldn't give me an ETA for the fix.

• Cclark50
    Cclark50 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Definately scammers intercepting Spectrum customer service calls. i googled Spectrum customer service & got 2 #s and they answer spectrum customer service. Wanted $55 for DVR cloud upgrade. I got legitimate Spectrum rep & there is no fix yet. It's a good thing I'm cheap & wouldnt pay😡

• jerry430
    jerry430 Posts: 3 Spectator
    Options

Since my previous post on April 14, I now have a new problem. The Cloud DVR suddenly stopped recording. The scheduled programs show in the VIEW SCHEDULED menu, however they don't record and don't appear in the RECORDINGS menu. Oh well, the previously recorded were unwatchable anyway.

• johnbryantmassey
    johnbryantmassey Posts: 3 Spectator
    Options

Also now encountering the new issues of scheduled recordings not recording. That's been happening all week on top of all of the other issues that have persisted for the last month. Good riddance Spectrum.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,320 Contributor
    Options

Yes,

If you are calling in requesting Cloud DVR credits make sure that you are only contacting an authorized Spectrum Customer Care Service number, either within the contents of Spectrum's network or the number shown on your billing statement. Blind Searching can lead to scam numbers and misleading results,

Satch

• karandant
    karandant Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I continue to have the same that is reported over and over here. My Cloud DVR is mostly unusable. I switched to no physical boxes and use the app on all tvs. Most shows recorded do not work. Olthen only play for a few minutes then get the 3 dots, and then then error code that program is unavailable

Trying to restart recording doesn't work. I have to delete the show. And then if it's available can watch it on demand with no issues. Frustrating.

The cloud dvr is a waste of money.

My internet is fast, multiple devices connected to Internet with no issues when DVR fails. Regular TV channels on the spectrum app work fine. Hulu, YouTube, and all other streaming apps work fine on the tv. It's the cloud dvr.

When will this be fixed? There is obviously an issue.

• astageorge
    astageorge Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Well I called again yesterday and was told I could have the boxes back. As others have said now nothing will record. They are coming today. Of course the price has gone up $2.per box. I told them to cancel the Cloud DVR so I will save some money there. Soon it will be time to dump Spectrum completely. Current I have a $20. discount on internet so I am paying $65. for it, but it will expire in August so I will call to see if I can get it back. Currently Vios has internet for $65. guaranteed for 5 years. Just to add, some of the many people and Techs I have talked to over the past months have been very rude. They say this is the first they have heard about the issue. Yesterday the service rep who was working from home with her kids in the background making a racket spent more time trying to have me switch my mobile phone to Spectrum. Then she said why did you turn your boxes in anyway. I told her I got a letter that said I had to and I could not use them after 3/30. She told me I should have ignored the letter and called them. Really, you can't make this stuff up.!

• Skiingdavid
    Skiingdavid Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

adding to the many issues already here. Cloud DVR stopped recording on Monday. I just discovered it last evening. All my future recordings are listed but after the time of the recording, no recording took place. I too had freezing recordings prior to Monday and would switch to on demand with no issues. Last week spectrum sent out a technician to replace my WiFi. As an IT guy, I knew that wasn’t the problem but I let them come anyway. Of course it didn’t fix anything. I have no issues with any other streaming service!

• From_Florida
    From_Florida Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Over the past month and a half, the service has been horrible. It pauses, drops or doesn't even record. I have called several times, each time I've been told that they are aware of the issue with no ETA, all the time changing me for something I'm not receiving. Very poor customer service and very poor platform. I have to YouTube TV as a trial and what a refreshing experience. The shows I record are actually there and playback without issue. I wish Spectrum would fix this platform or hiring competent employees who CAN.

• ibashopper1
    ibashopper1 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I HATE the cloud DVR — so damn frustrating. Half the time it doesn't record my shows and the other half of the time it freezes up. I am thinking of leaving Spectrum. Ugh!

• jerry430
    jerry430 Posts: 3 Spectator
    Options

Just curious, is there anyone currently using Spectrum Cloud DVR without any problems? I stress "currently" because it appears that most of the problems have arisen recently.

• CharL8_
    CharL8_ Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Add me to the long list of people experiencing multiple issues with cloud Dvr. It’s a total waste of money and extremely frustrating. Today one of my recordings shows up in the list of recorded items but when I try to select it, nothing happens. I feel that Spectrum should do away with this service entirely until they fix it so that it actually works the way it should.

• CharL8_
    CharL8_ Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

@Phil_B Thanks so much for the update! This sounds encouraging and hopefully it will be fixed in the time frame you have outlined. I don’t want to switch to another provider because Spectrum has a great channel offering. Once this issue is resolved, I hope Spectrum will enhance the service so that live tv can be paused. I really miss that feature!

• azure57
    azure57 Posts: 3 Spectator
    edited April 18
    Options

This afternoon, I called Spectrum and was pleasantly surprised to find that the rep with whom I spoke was aware of the technical glitches, the fact that Cloud DVR recordings stopped as of Monday, and the fact that Spectrum is providing a credit to affected subscribers until the system is fixed. In the meantime, at the start of the week, I decided to take advantage of YouTube TV's 10-day free trial; and having used that company's Cloud DVR for the last 4 days, I can report that playback of recordings is flawless — no skipping, freezing, buffering, restarting, etc. It also has the capability to rewind and playback Live TV — something that Spectrum's Cloud DVR can't do.

That said, the service is not perfect. Visual fast forward is much choppier and thus more difficult to use to skip through commercials than Spectrum's Cloud DVR (that is, when Spectrum's is working properly, which frequently hasn't been the case). Also, Spectrum's whole interface is, in my opinion at least, much better and more intuitively designed than YouTube's. As a cable provider, Spectrum also offers a far larger channel selection. And one small but irritating feature of YouTube's Cloud DVR is that when you're trying to speed through commercials, it occasionally inserts a couple of its own advertisements — and those aren't skippable. Spectrum doesn’t do that.

On balance, if Spectrum can get its act together and make its Cloud DVD usable — and by that I mean, ensure that recordings play back smoothly, without any interruptions, freezing, skipping, buffering, restarting and so on, which YouTube TV clearly demonstrates is technically feasible — then I would much prefer to remain with Spectrum.

• KeithH
    KeithH Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

We bought a house and moved to FL 3 weeks ago. Turns out the developer signed an exclusive deal with Specturm so we have no choice but to use them. We’ve had nothing but issues with cloud DVR since day 1. I’m glad I found this web forum to confirm that it’s not just me. I certainly miss Xfinity!!! Separate from the unusable DVR, the guide navigation is a joke. Unless I’m doing something wrong… moving from channel to channel is nearly impossible.

• Danaj_2024
    Danaj_2024 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

We are forced to have Spectrum every year in order to watch the Dodgers games. Previously, using the DVR box we were OK with the technology even though it was clunkier than some of the other streaming services.

This year, bought the Xumo (for $60) since our smart TV doesn't support the Spectrum app, and got cloud DVR. While we're happ(ier) to see them working on and acknowledging the problems, it doesn't help us be able to watch the games without glitches unless the recording is finished, or we are watching live and can't pause/rewind, etc. Another place where they are lacking is only allowing 50 programs to be stored unless you pay extra per month. YouTube TV has unlimited cloud storage and the recordings never go away so you don't have to constantly delete them like you do with Spectrum.

I was about to go in and get the box until they figured out the problem. So now that we're still a couple of months out, I think they should be offering the box for free until we are notified and can verify the cloud system is working properly.

Would love feed back from a Spectrum rep on this suggestion.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,320 Contributor
    edited April 19
    Options

The moderator's post above details the Cloud DVR update that is happening, and service credits until this gets fixed.

Satch

• ZuZaLeena
    ZuZaLeena Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited April 19
    Options

This is ridiculous. I have tried all of the suggestions from representatives and nothing changes. Now, the DVR just doesn't record the shows that have been scheduled daily for over a year. I want my DVR service money back. Why am I paying for a service that is not being provided? This is nuts! There's no competition, only monopolies that are getting away with crappy service because there isn't anything else available.

And by the way…this statement: We will provide Cloud DVR customers with a full credit for their Cloud DVR service, including last month and each new month until we restore performance to our quality standards. No action is required on the part of our customers – this credit will occur for all customers currently billed for Cloud DVR service, whether you have experienced issues or not, and you will continue to be able to use Cloud DVR service.

is not happening on my statement! Guess I get to spend 4 hours on the phone tomorrow.

• lakeholcombe
    lakeholcombe Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

My scheduled recordings are NOT recording. The problem started suddenly on 04/16/24. Spectrum apparently knows about the problem, but couldn't provide an ETA to fix it.

The shows will show in the "scheduled" window, but drop before recording.

• James_M
    James_M Posts: 4,729 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

@ZuZaLeena

Credits will be provided automatically and will usually post to your account within one to two billing cycles. If you choose to call in, phone representatives will not be able to provide a Cloud DVR credit.

For recordings; in the short term, recordings you have scheduled through Sunday, April 21, may not be recorded.

As an alternative, you can access most programming Free On Demand.

Beginning Monday, April 22, you will be able to record programming as usual.

We will notify you when the updates are complete, so you can enjoy the high-quality Cloud DVR experience you deserve.

If you have additional feedback or questions, please let us know. Thanks for your patience.

• jWS9518
    jWS9518 Posts: 24 Participant
    Options

The problem with ON demand is that live sport events that I record are usually not on there.

• GNM75
    GNM75 Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

I have been dealing with cloud based issues since Oct 2023 I have made several calls to tech support I know quite a bit about tech I went through all of the steps that they wanted me to do as a lot of you have been told to do Which I had already done before calling they made me let there tech come to my house before they would escalate the issue after finally convincing them that it was on there side and told them that it is a streaming platform problem especially DVR cloud recordings the past 4to6 weeks have been the worst They have known about the problem but wouldn’t admit it to there costumers so on the 16th I filed a complaint with the CPUC after that I called tech support the next day and it just so happened that they got a memo stating that they are going to rebuild there cloud platform and put in more servers to handle the over selling of the DVR plus service which I was told won’t be finished until Fall I had a tech to my house today because I had to move the DVR box to our family room because of this issue and wanted new equipment He showed me the memo that went out to all the tech’s in the field and it from the 18th to the 22nd of April you won’t be able to record anything in the cloud but after that they are going to cut the limit back from 100 to 50 recording’s while they work on the upgrade and will credit back the DVR plus service every month on your bill I am not going to hold my breath but I truly hope they fix it I just wish they had been more transparent about this issue because good customer service goes a long way so I hope this helps those of you that have been dealing with the frustration as we have and know it’s probably not your equipment that you might have even with the base internet package speed you should be able to stream with out interrupted service unless you have a lot of devices in your home I have 1gig service but Spectrum is getting ready to roll out approximately 2.5 gig service

Please comment if this helps

• pepco
    pepco Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

No excuses for a company as large as Spectrum to have these problems with cDVR service. Hope they fix all the buffering, stopping, jumping around and blurry picture while FF.

• Will_B328
    Will_B328 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

We’ve been dealing with these issues since last fall and it has gotten progressively worse. As posted previously, we get different stories from different reps with a variety of attitudes. On the other hand, this must be a very negative job dealing with complaints due to an absolutely awful service that they do not have control over.

I see that there’s been an explanation and update added recently that includes an ETA. I’ll believe it when I see it. Furthermore, as the consumer paying for a service that’s not being provided, why should I have to make multiple calls to customer service or go on a forum to get answers? Shouldn’t Spectrum be proactively reaching out to affected customers?

If this is not resolved by April 22nd or get the promised credits to my account, I smell a class action lawsuit coming on the horizon.