You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Why am I hearing that some of my Disney-owned TV channels, including ESPN, may go away?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Micra
    Micra Posts: 3 Spectator
    Options

America’s only major tennis tournament women’s final yesterday: …”She (Gauff) is the youngest American, male or female, to win a US Open since Serena Williams did so at age 19 in 2001.” Too bad we didn’t get to watch that.

• 1Cape42_
    1Cape42_ Posts: 1 Spectator
    Options

Missing Disney Channels with All the local sports programing. When will Proper Settlement be forwarded to me. I have paid for the programs that were unavailable over the past weekend. Please let all know what the up to minute status of the settlement is. Thank you

• DallasLou
    DallasLou Posts: 1 Spectator
    Options

I am paying Spectrum extra for the now cancelled ESPN channels and am very unhappy. With the start of college football this is a deal breaker. If Spectrum thinks using FUBO is a good alternative, then provide it at no cost until they have a new contract?

• rshapiro
    rshapiro Posts: 1 Spectator
    edited September 2023
    Options

Spectrum says they are looking out for us by not backing down to Disney's Exorbitant rate increase. Yet at the same time they have no problem raising our internet rate by $5.00/month.

Now that's an Exorbitant rate increase!

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,322 Contributor
    Options

My Predictions for What Will Happen With the Spectrum-Disney Dispute

(Based on my years with Cable TV since 1985)

Note that this is all Speculation! I am simply trying outline the future of what will most likely happen. Plans can change overnight. Some of you might want to see a thought-provoking outline for a change, rather than the accusation/denial posts over who is at fault here. At any rate, these are my general predictions over time.

1.) A deal will be struck.

2.) Disney is asking for $1.50 more per month.

3.) Disney, seeing the loss of it's own subs, will settle for $1.00 more per sub, per month.

4.) Spectrum will allow Disney to put it's apps on the new streaming box that it is testing with Comcast. (Perhaps free with minimal ads.) Spectrum won't get the plus apps for free that they are seeking, but customers will be able to get the plus apps from Disney at a reduced rate.

5.) The five year+ contracts will be allowed to run their course for channels under contract.

6.) Spectrum allows seniors and those used to the system to keep their boxes and guides till they die, but no more updates to Spectrum Guide or ODN Navigator, or legacy Charter guides, unless they are bug fixes. (The exception could be World Boxes/Spectrum Guide doing hybrid streaming/cable TV integration.) However, cable TV as a stand-alone model will be phased-out over time. Spectrum Guide can do app integrations.

7.) Spectrum, within five years time, brings DVR service to the streaming boxes and that becomes their new video business. Within five years, they will integrate most of their CATV channels to streaming on this new box. Once it gets DVR functionality, that box will be the new norm.

8.) Spectrum becomes the norm for streaming TV+High Speed Internet+ Mobile, gradually, but progressively over the next five years. This is how they will identify themselves in years to come. Spectrum Voice (Landline Phone) will remain for grandfathered customers on that system, but won't be bundled with new packages, because so many don't have landline phones anymore.

9.) It is still going to take a long time, because there are legal issues, political issues, nodes that need to changed over, and technology that needs to be seriously tested before being implemented.

10.) If the deal with Disney is struck and allows Spectrum the ability to integrate apps into its services, the change-over will be slower than predicted, because Spectrum will get the hybrid Streaming/CATV service integration that it wants. They can build off of CATV//Hybrid Streaming integration for years to come. Which I think is Spectrum's first choice. And remember World Boxes with Spectrum Guide can do streaming apps, which is going to be Spectrum's future, whether that future is hybrid with CATV or stand-alone. What will happen depends on the type of deal struck with Disney.

Satch

• BarnoFamily
    BarnoFamily Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

I picked the Silver package just because it included the channels I wanted, Disney, FX, National Geographic channels, ESPN. It should definitely lower seeing as there are at least 20 channels they are removing.....

• BarnoFamily
    BarnoFamily Posts: 2 Spectator
    edited September 2023
    Options

I just need my channels back or lower my monthly bill. The silver package included FX, Disney, ESPN, ABC, National Geographic channels, etc. If I can't have them I need a lower bill. Those the main channels I need and I have to sit here and listen to my husband complain about not being ablt to watch his sports one more time, I'll just cancel services altogether.

• TerryOregon
    TerryOregon Posts: 15 Participant
    Options

Reuters article from today:

"Charter pays Disney more than 2.2 billion annually for the right to distribute the media giant's channels to subscribers."

Adds some clarity to the issue.

• HARLEM
    HARLEM Posts: 7 Participant
    Options

Great to hear things have worked out with Disney and Spectrum (for now)!

I was waiting at least a month before I decided anything because knee jerk resolutions just aren’t my thing.

Whooohooo! Great job Spectrum!

• Cricket08
    Cricket08 Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Greet they reached an agreement, how in the world am I still loosing channels in this!!!!!! FXX FXM freeform all gone! There are kids movies on Freeform that are not on Disney+. I signed up for the channels I got and pay for them and now they are just gone.

• Cricket08
    Cricket08 Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Greet they reached an agreement, how in the world am I still loosing channels in this!!!!!! FXX FXM freeform all gone! There are kids movies on Freeform that are not on Disney+. I signed up for the channels I got and pay for them and now they are just gone.

This discussion has been closed.