You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Why am I hearing that some of my Disney-owned TV channels, including ESPN, may go away?

Options

Comments

• Gandalf7531
    Gandalf7531 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

You bunch of greedy buffoons better get ESPN back. And quick! You won’t credit our accounts for all these missing channels so don’t bray about being on “our side”. Corporate BS from a bunch of grifters is all this is. And Disney can go eff itself too!

• Cronk
    Cronk Posts: 4 Spectator
    Options

If this isn’t resolved soon we will just have to cancel our subscriptions and go elsewhere. Don’t make excuses, make it right.

• Rmarkwith26
    Rmarkwith26 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I'm seriously considering dropping my cable & internet service unless you get ESPN back. It is 90% of what I watch. I don't care what you have to pay to do so. Drop some of the other garbage that you carry if you need to.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,328 Contributor
    Options

Feedback- A solution that could stop this from happening again as these contracts have a minimum of a five year duration before renewals happen.

To prevent these frustrations from happening again, why not appoint, behind the scenes, a programing arbitrator who could be used in the event that both sides are at an impass over programing for a new contract? The arbitrator would only be called in as a last resort for that 5% of the time that companies can not reach an agreement on their own?

The following conditions would be used during the arbitration process:

1.) Both sides would agree that the service(s) up for renegotiation would stay on during talks to prevent disruption of service to customers. This way, subscribers can still enjoy their programing and not be subjected to blackouts.

2.) After a fair and reasonable amount of time for the arbitrator to listen to each side, however, many weeks or months it takes, the arbitrator makes a decision that is as close to 50/50 to a 60/40 compromise as possible.

The goal of arbitration would be to bring in a middle person as a last resort so that subscribers do not lose services during these contract renewals.

Satch

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,328 Contributor
    Options

More feedback-For those insisting that they will switch providers if this is not resolved:

What happens in another 5 years, (Which is generally the minimal length but often accepted length of these contracts,) when a company like Disney has the same problems re-negotiating with Fubo? Or YouTubeTV? Or Dish Network? Or Sling? Moving to another monthly TV vendor does not stop these blackouts from re-occurring.

Satch

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 411 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi there, thanks for reaching out. The Walt Disney Company has removed their programming from Spectrum which creates hardship for our customers. We ask for your patience as we continue to work out a deal that is fair for everyone. Spectrum is on your side, fighting hard to resolve this situation and keep costs down while protecting and maximizing customer choice. I definitely will pass your concerns along. We appreciate all feedback and suggestions. You can find more information and updates here: http://bit.ly/3YYTHQl

• Gloria86
    Gloria86 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

I am seeing that ABC, ESPN ( College FOOTBALL !!) and the DISNEY channel for my grandkids, are no longer "ON DEMAND"... I pay for On Demand, and I am missing the programs that I typically "catch up on" on the weekends.... WHEN ARE THEY COMING BACK??? I have already missed 2 football games, and my binge while I do chores on Sunday, of GENERAL HOSPITAL.... what is up with that??? I KNOW that I am not the only one with a gripe about this...very irritating and annoying, and yet, I am paying extra every month for NOT having them. SPECTRUM ?????

• Gloria86
    Gloria86 Posts: 2 Spectator
    Options

Spectrum...... your fight with Disney for more money, should not interrupt the services paid for by your customers. SHAME on you ! You wait for football season to start, to take away what we pay for. That is complete BS. You are about to lose a whole lot of customer fan base.. but you know that, right?

• skinla
    skinla Posts: 1 Spectator
    Options

We are now entering day six of not having the Disney-owned TV channels on Spectrum TV, and it has gone on way too long. As a Silver subscriber, I am paying $114.99 a month for the TV service and, because I am a Channel 7 viewer and avid sports fan, I am angry and frustrated at not having access to Channel 7, ESPN and ESPN2 as well as the other Disney-owned channels I view and have viewed on Spectrum TV. I have missed most of US Open tennis and am about to miss Monday Night Football. If Spectrum, per its statement on its Disney-owned channels, wants us to remain loyal during this dispute, it would behoove them and Disney to get to the negotiating table and resolve this mess as quickly as possible or TV customer loyalty -- myself included, and I have been a customer for forty years -- will take a huge nosedive!

• mtegas6
    mtegas6 Posts: 1 Spectator
    Options

Is there any credits for not getting any Disney channels ?

• HARLEM
    HARLEM Posts: 7 Participant
    Options

Absolutely not! I am not taking a one time credit and will instead await the class action lawsuit against Spectrum if they don’t make a price adjustment or offer us Fubo for a year free and then at that ridiculous discounted price thereafter!

Unbelievable!!!!

• HARLEM
    HARLEM Posts: 7 Participant
    Options

Absolutely not! I am not taking a one time credit and will instead await the class action lawsuit against Spectrum if they don’t make a price adjustment or offer us Fubo for a year free and then at that ridiculous discounted price thereafter!

Unbelievable

• andrewhunsinger
    andrewhunsinger Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Thank you Spectrum for completely ruining the first week of college football for me. I really appreciate that 2 companies worth BILLIONS of dollars are flighting like 4 year-olds. Suck it up, go kiss the Mouse, stop over charging us, and give us back out Disney related channels.

• bvonalmen
    bvonalmen Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Spectrum claims Disney is the problem. I do not pay Disney for services. I have an agreement with Spectrum. If you cannot provide the channels promised in my contract, then you should deduct those channels from my bill. Your measly, one-time offer of $15 does not come close to compensating customers for these channels. You are breaking the law by charging customers for services you are not providing. You make BILLIONS of dollars each year. You can afford to take care of your customers. Your decision to NOT do so with lose you the loyalty of customers like me who have been with you over 25 years.

• Roryjo
    Roryjo Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited September 2023
    Options

Having my dvr stop recording before the show is over for years ad on blackouts and now this Disney mess I'm about done!🧐🤔

• Clv13
    Clv13 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

All I know is I’m missing the US Open. Just pay the money, Spectrum! You’ve got me over a barrel because my HOA has a contract and I’m already paying for basic and internet with them, PLUS I’m paying for the extra channels, which I’m not getting right now. Are you going to credit my account for these channels?

• Quiet_Freak
    Quiet_Freak Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

We can we expect to get our cable bills reduced due to the missing channels as a result of your failed negotiations? You're not paying Disney/ESPN, etc. anything now so the fair thing to do is pass on those savings to us, your high paying customers. Oh, and thank you so much for another price increase on my bill this month - now paying $5 more for internet with no explanation why. Did the internet go up too :) Maybe we could email Spectrum executives our concerns? You're going to give us that link, right?

• DustyTurner
    DustyTurner Posts: 1 Spectator
    Options

How much will my bill decrease now that Disney is no longer part of it.

• psgobucks
    psgobucks Posts: 1 Spectator
    edited September 2023
    Options

Wow, you fight over price/value and the customer pays the price...you are on a path to losing a lot of customers including me!!!! Cable will be included!!!!

• TKS
    TKS Posts: 2 Newcomer
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Hey Spectrum! I am paying for your service which includes ABC programming. Get it together with your Charter dispute so that customers do not lose access to a major network. Maybe penalize Spectrum employees rather than your high paying customers?? The lack of access today (9/5) follows the Spectrum outage (phone, internet, TV) yesterday for 5 hours. Customers pay too much to be bumped from a network in addition to outages!
  • SoCal_Input_2023
    SoCal_Input_2023 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Thank you Spectrum, for holding the line. I suggest you tell Disney that you'll pay them 10% less than the last negotiated renewal, to allow their content to be delivered by your platform. Then make your customers happier by lowering our monthly fees accordingly. Please don't pay a penny more at this renewal with Disney. We can find our favorite sports on streaming media, so don't cave please. I STRONGLY dislike Disney, I have for 46 years now.

• bzbx23
    bzbx23 Posts: 5 Spectator
    Options

This is from an article on the Disney/Spectrum contract dispute. It appeared in today’s Yahoo Finance News and tells you all you need to know about Spectrum and their interest in your wants/needs as a cable subscriber. “Charter/Spectrum apparently wants to transition away from cable television to focus on its broadband and wireless businesses. The reason? It knows more and more customers are cutting the cable television cord in favor of streaming.”

(emphasis mine)

• TylerG_1
    TylerG_1 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I will run….Not walk to streaming. Have it now at condo out of town and do not miss cable one bit. If not fixed immediately we will just cancel everything. Too many other choices and less expensive options in 2023.

• Krop_12
    Krop_12 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Agree with most, Soectrum has no interest in keeping our bill down as we are held hostage. They pull this last minute while Us Open, College Football, Formula One is on and they tell you the day of and blame it on Disney. I want to email the Disney execs to tell them not to settle with Spectrum as they , Spectrum cares less about pricing…. Any normal business would negotiate ahead of time and inform customers of what may happen, but then again Spectrum is no normal business. Direct TV/Dish Network are looking better and better…

• Joek
    Joek Posts: 1 Spectator
    Options

The Walt Disney Company has removed their programming from Spectrum.

We offered Disney a fair deal, and yet they continue to demand an excessive increase.

Sounds like the kettle calling the pot black.

Spectrum continues to raise rates on long time existing customers and cry’s poverty when they get handed the same BS.

They offered No discounts for the loss of channels. Probably time to cut the cord here as well.

• Cocoa_1Sugarbear
    Cocoa_1Sugarbear Posts: 1 Spectator
    Options

Will our monthly bill reflect the loss of channels being paid for and not received as a result of Disney negotiations? Will there be a class action lawsuit involving paying for services not being received?

• Larry
    Larry Posts: 5 Participant
    Options

The obvious solution is to pay Disney and then put all the Disney channels into a separate add-on package like Specturm as with the Sports View add-on package. That way customers that want the Disney channels can pay for the additional channels. If a customer does not want to pay the cost or want the Disney channels, then they have the option of not adding the package to their current plan. It just irks me to pay for channels that I never watch. I wish there was a way to offer an ala carte system where one could only pay for the channels one wants.

• vlf
    vlf Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

At this point, the whole thing is very frustrating. However, I see that my Spectrum bill has increased even though I am getting fewer channels. If Spectrum is not paying Disney, my bill should be going down, not up.

• Gary_Kat
    Gary_Kat Posts: 1 Spectator
    edited September 2023
    Options

Why are you raising my bill when Spectrum is taking away channels? About ready to dump Spectrum

This discussion has been closed.