Didn't find what you were looking for?

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
You are currently viewing the Spectrum Community Archives
This content may be outdated or inaccurate
All posts are closed and commenting has been disabled

If you have a question or comment, please start a new post (registration is required)

Leave the Archive

Why am I hearing that some of my Disney-owned TV channels, including ESPN, may go away?

Comments

• BirdDawg
    BirdDawg Posts: 1 Newcomer

Spectrum & Disney have 30 minutes to quit USING my years of loyalty in their dispute or I will be saying goodbye to both forever. AT&T just installed fiber which will be available in a few week & I will be starting my 21 day free trial with YouTube TV at 7:00 am which I’ve used for several years thru my sons family access. Instead of paying blowhards like McAfee $85 million Disney should be cleaning up their own yard & Spectrum in the 30 years I’ve dealt with them has NEVER done anything in my interest. They know they can’t afford to jack their costs up any higher or everyone will leave. Disney will be doing this to every streaming service out there as contracts come due. Like most networks, they are in serious trouble & the Spectrums, DirectTVs, etc… of the world will either pay the price or else while Mickey hopes we just all switch to Hulu!! Good riddance!!

• msmermaid
    msmermaid Posts: 1 Newcomer

Nice time to do this....first day of college football. Disney raising rates, but nothing about Spectrum raising mine every 6 months by $20 for one box for 100's of channels I don't want/need/watch. Rather than watch ESPN Gameday, I guess I'll spend my time researching streaming options.

• Yoobes
    Yoobes Posts: 3 Spectator

Signing up this morning for a free trial period of 7 days with another provider , if not back after this bye bye spectrum . It’s college football season , this family isn’t missing our Buckeyes .

• brwedge
    brwedge Posts: 1 Newcomer

We are customers of Spectrum and signed up based on the offering of Disney channels like ESPN. I expect Spectrum to continue with this commitment. IT is unacceptable to drop ESPN the day before College Football season starts ! Spectrum needs to have started the process to resolve this months ago and is at fault. This has not happened at DirectTV, Hulu, etc - WHY ?? Do not blame Disney I blame Spectrum poor customer service - count me as a subscriber seeking options to CANCEL SPECTRUM !!!!

• jwalsh007
    jwalsh007 Posts: 2 Spectator

Saturday morning and still not a word on the Spectrum website about what is going on. I was able to find out that the president of Spectrum is Chris Winfrey. Then I search on that name, and I find an article on Variety's website, of all places, about a call Mr. Winfrey had with investors yesterday explaining how it is time to blow up the current cable model.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/disney-charter-dispute-espn-christopher-winfrey-cable-model-1235710596/

Glad to see Mr. Winfrey will respond to his investors, while obviously not caring enough to inform his subscribers. If you want to be remembered as the Curt Flood of the cable industry, then at least have the guts to tell us that, so we can decide whether we want go along for the ride with you.

From your comments in the Variety article, it is apparent that this is not going to end any time soon. At least have the courtesy to post something on your website to that effect.

Mr Winfrey, I know that you have probably gone soft over the years, benefiting from being a monopoly, but with the advent of the streaming services, you should at least plan to attend some remedial Customer Service 101 training classes.

• Angi75
    Angi75 Posts: 2 Newcomer

I totally agree if the channels aren’t back, I am canceling my spectrum I will go to a different Internet service provider I don’t need cable TV I have Hulu plus and I have Amazon prime and I have Disney+ and I have Paramount+ so I’m good. I only have spectrum because I like FX and I like Nat Geo and I like ABC News so without those it’s worthless to me

• TKing1959
    TKing1959 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Is my bill going to be adjusted to compensate for the loss of the channels that I signed a contract with YOU to have

• Cblynn
    Cblynn Posts: 1 Newcomer

Fix this issue now, Spectrum! You failed to apprise customers of this dispute until the last minute. You failed to provide viewing options for college football on opening day. I don’t care if my bill goes up by a few dollars a month to ensure that I have ESPN during College football season. If you had asked me that, or sought any consumer feedback, then you would know this. You do not have my best interest at heart and you are not on my side. If it’s not resolved by Saturday evening then I’m canceling Spectrum

• Mendel
    Mendel Posts: 1 Newcomer

We have been unable to reach a market-based agreement with Charter Communications to continue carrying our networks. This means that you have lost access to our unrivaled portfolio of live sports, kids, family and general entertainment programming from the ESPN networks, the Disney-branded channels, Freeform, the FX networks, and the National Geographic channels. As a result, SportsCenter and exclusive live sports such as Monday Night Football and college football plus American Horror Story, Welcome to Wrexham, Life Below Zero, Mickey Mouse Funhouse, 31 Nights of Halloween and much more are no longer available with your Spectrum TV subscription.

Contact Spectrum and let them know you want to keep these networks.

• OwensboroSteve
    OwensboroSteve Posts: 1 Spectator

Disney and Spectrum, please stop holding your customers hostage. We are paying for MANY channels we are not receiving including all the ESPN channels, Disney, and others. Please, both Disney and Spectrum, put your greed aside and restore channels that your customers are PAYING FOR and NOT SEEING! Do either of you think this situation is helping to create goodwill with your paying customers? Restore the channels....restore the channels...restore the channels. I stream ESPN+ and Disney and pay for them yet I can't watch them because you require that I go through Spectrum to watch. We are disgusted with both of you! You need to refund us for the services we are paying for and not receiving. Resolve this issue.

• Chevyman
    Chevyman Posts: 1 Newcomer

Could care less if Disney (ESPN) pulls the plug on Spectrum. Any more it’s nothing but a bunch of dummies spewing political BS

• LindaDoc50
    LindaDoc50 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited September 2023

You had this same problem the last time your Disney contract renewed! This is very, very disappointing! And, I hold you responsible that you did not prepare for this sooner. So, now, with the US Open going on, and with pro football ready to start, we customers have NO CHOICE but suffer through your contract negotiations! With no compensation on our monthly bills, I’m sure. I am seriously considering closing my Spectrum account and transferring to Dish or DirecTV.

• Cridernick324
    Cridernick324 Posts: 1 Newcomer

It bothers me that there was no warning, I find out the opening day of college football season that I am loosing ESPN. And that is on spectrum. The Disney company sucks and always has, just pure money hungry greedy people. But I alway want to know if my bill is going to be reduced also to compensate for the loosing of all the channels, cause if I add channels I have to pay for it…it should work in reverse too!

• Lkay
    Lkay Posts: 1 Newcomer

College football season starts and we lose ESPN. Poor timing. I want a credit for every day we don’t have these channels.

I’m looking at Sling and it looks pretty good right now. I can get two ESPN channels and lots of others for $40 per month. I’m paying over $200 per month for the convenience of cable but it’s no longer convenient so now seems like a good time to switch to streaming and save $100 per month.

• timewarp2kad
    timewarp2kad Posts: 1 Newcomer

I believe that it’s about time that we stop paying for all the items we don’t wast like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, Sports, Disney Channels and game channels also home improvement channels, news channels. All the channels could be separated this way you want Sports pay more for that for this is what’s happening online. Do this now or the networks will keep doing this and prices will keep going up for channels we want and channels we don’t want. We are going online sooner than you think for there is more things to watch online screening services then ever before. Spectrum needs to Evolve.

• SheriffBooth
    SheriffBooth Posts: 1 Newcomer

I'm not sure how Spectrum thinks they will survive this for very long. I know that I'm not alone in having Spectrum cable service only for sports; we watch no other channels. So losing all the ESPN channels plus ABC is an absurdity. Losing an entire weekend of football and Formula 1 coverage is pretty bad and if this lasts more than a few days we will have to cancel our service.

And as another commented above, it's ridiculous that there is no way to email Spectrum directly to voice concerns about this.

• Patb
    Patb Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited September 2023

Unless this problem is resolved shortly, I will be seeking a new provider. I look forward to watching sports and one of my favorite news channels is unavailable due to failure to negotiate. I am not the only spectrum customer who thinks this way.

• Nananan65
    Nananan65 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited September 2023

So Spectrum thinks Disney's increase in pricing is excessive. Really? I've had a total increase of $20.31 during 2023 (2 increases, one in February and now one beginning the month of September). A total of $10 in increases for internet alone. We need some serious competition here!! My grandchildren don't pay these outlandish prices so I need to get them in here to hook me up and lower my costs!!

• Samsaunt1031
    Samsaunt1031 Posts: 1 Newcomer

If you would spend less money on advertising our Bills would cost less and you could pay Disney. The channels lost, some of which are sports, are something I enjoy. Also National Geographic. Get them back on or I am taking my business elsewhere. That includes TV, Internet and Mobile Phone.

• Cvcassingham
    Cvcassingham Posts: 1 Newcomer

I read about the dispute in the Wall Street Journal this morning. The truth is… Disney offered an extension to negotiations which would have kept ESPN available but Charter declined with the consequence being no USOpen coverage for their customers. The dispute is not about the cost to continue carrying ESPN rather, Charter wants to offer Disney’s Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu free to their customers to which Disney said no.

BAD MOVE on Charter’s part to allow popular programming go dark as a tactic in their negotiations.

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,668 Contributor

I found out one of the major stumbling blocks with the dispute between Disney and Spectrum:

Spectrum wants to give its customers ESPN+ and Disney+ as free streaming apps ,for which all other subs have to pay . This means that if you have ESPN and Disney, you would get the + apps for free. (Like HBO+Max.)

Disney is saying, "No way will we offer those streams for free."

Jack

• Enigma
    Enigma Posts: 1 Newcomer

Totally agree. That is a good chunk of high demand channels spectrum has cut, but I’m sure we won’t see any change. It’s football time, may be the excuse I need to switch to YouTube tv.

• Jregulator54_
    Jregulator54_ Posts: 2 Spectator
    edited September 2023

Since both are NOT available is there going to be a DISCOUNT given on Spectrum future billing?

• Jregulator54_
    Jregulator54_ Posts: 2 Spectator

Is Discount going to be applied to future billing

• jackpinetrail2005
    jackpinetrail2005 Posts: 1 Newcomer

Don’t feed us this “we are on your side” garbage and then request us to do your dirty work by contacting ESPN’s parent company.

How much is my account going to be credited for each hour all of these stations are not available?

Every time a cable tv or sattelite tv network pulls this Sh**, it clearly show that they have no love for their customers.

Work it out ... now .... it will be a major pain when I have to switch my $300+ account to fiber

Networks that charter has shut down:

ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, ESPNU, ESPN News, SEC Network, ACC Network, Longhorn Network, FX, FX Movie Channel, FXX, Freeform, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, Nat Geo Mundo, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, BabyTV

ABC On Demand programming and the following local ABC stations: ABC7 Chicago, ABC7 Los Angeles, ABC7 New York, ABC7 San Francisco, ABC11 Raleigh-Durham, ABC13 Houston, ABC30 Fresno

• Valoyce
    Valoyce Posts: 1 Newcomer

Spectrum is just as bad as Disney! You both are making tons of money and instead of absorbing the new costs, either company, and keeping our prices the same, you fight with each other and the CUSTOMER LOSES by taking away our viewing channels or charging us more or both. The profit both companies make is crazy and the salaries of middle management and executives are out of control so you charge us more or take away channels so everyone in these companies gets their annual raises and bonuses and your customers pay for it. Corporate greed at its best and you think putting up a notice against Disney makes you the good guy. We see through this. Both of your companies are bad; greedy. Time to switch and even give up my precious "In the Papers"!

• irsless
    irsless Posts: 1 Newcomer

So let me get this right. You are increasing my bill and the Disney related channels are not available including the sports channels. In addition you suggest I subscribe to Fubo for an additional $60+ dollars a month?

• Smitty20000
    Smitty20000 Posts: 1 Newcomer

I pay spectrum for that programming and therefore it is on them to figure it out. If they expect me to complain to Disney that's a bunch of bull. I know if it is not resolved in short order, they will permanently lose my $300+ a month.

• HARLEM
    HARLEM Posts: 7 Participant

Spectrum you must do better. Not only is it offensive to ask customers to now subscribe to an additional service like Fubo to get access to the lost Disney channels, it’s even MORE offensive that you haven’t even made an attempt at compensation customers who are now paying the same price for less service.

We didn’t sign up for that!

• Squirrellydan
    Squirrellydan Posts: 1 Newcomer

Spectrum going to lose millions in one week. Gonna show bud light how it’s done, huh? Already scheduled my fios installation for sept 9th. Goodbye and good riddance!

This discussion has been closed.